You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers: Double clicking on a specific cell does not bring up the formula box

There is a single (that I know of) cell that when I double click on the cell the formula box is not visible however the cells referenced in the cell are still highlighted. It's almost as if the formula box is off screen or something like that.

Things I've tried:

1) Menu: Edit=>Edit Formula (Same thing happens, no formula box but referenced cells are highlighted)

2) Delete entire row of table and regenerate row, same thing happens

3) When I single click on the cell, the formula is shown at the bottom of the window but cannot edit this

4) Made sure I'm using the latest version of Numbers/MacOS

5) Restarted my Mac

6) Scrolled left-right, up-down and looked on my other sheets and still no formula box

7) Hittine the "=" key and a blank formula box pops up so I have to recreate the formula (adding 4 cells together).

Okay while writing this I figured it out. I'll post it with the solution so if anyone finds this they may have a ready solution.

I use spaces and when I showed the apps in my space, the formula box was off the screen. Trouble is I cannot click on it to move it back onto the screen. When I maximize the window to fill my screen it works as expected. I use a laptop with a big screen next to my laptop screen and I "think" Number is placing the formula box on the laptop screen, however the laptop screen is smaller and has a different resolution so my hypothesis is that it is placing the formula box on the screen next to the one where the spreadsheet is located but above the laptop visible area. I haven't figured out when the other cells in the same table do not do the same thing.

MacBook Air, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 9:55 AM

There are no replies.

Numbers: Double clicking on a specific cell does not bring up the formula box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.