You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What causes TimeMachine backups to fail on NAS devices?

The newest fun part: with the latest update the network connections with enabled Firewall are stable, but if you backup your Mac with TimeMachine to a NAS device, the backup is no longer working. Stops between 200 and 400MB.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 4:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 6:29 AM

I back up to a Synology NAS using Time Machine and it worked yesterday and not today after 15.0.1 update

"The network disk disconnected from your Mac while backing up."

Mine gets to 0MB. But with a film playing off the same NAS during backup gets to 95 MB then goes to 'skipping'

66 replies

Oct 6, 2024 4:39 AM in response to Lundyfox

Tl;dr. This tip also worked for me. Thanks!

Waiting fix from Apple.

Details:

I have Synology NAS and use Time Machine service (all device in same local network). It's working fine for years.

After successful update to Sonoma 15.0.1 i received error message:

The backup disk image was ejected or disconnected from your Mac while backing up.

I tried restart my devices. Also I checked wifi connection. All working fine, but backup not work.

After reading comment I just turn off firewall, and backup ended successfully.

Oct 5, 2024 6:56 AM in response to Lundyfox

Reading the comments I tried turning the Mac firewall off and the backup is now working fine. Thank you

I don't see that as very helpful though; the solution, not the advice LOL. I already have to run backups manually because of "failed' messages all the time. So I use it once a day manually. If I have to start turning the firewall off I don't know I can be bothered. It could be I don't need the firewall on the Mac? I don't know

Oct 21, 2024 2:03 AM in response to matthias260

For the past year I've been running into bug after bug after on MacOS. Now this again. It's getting rather pathetic. Apple needs to up their game and start delivering what they promise and preach. This TimeMachine/firewall thing is again another day of Apple issues. I can hardly consider this 'Pro'. This stuff breaks flow.

You know what would be ballsy. If Apple would refrain from a MacOS release next year and just fix all of the bugs and refactor the OS to an extend that their primary workstation OS doesn't feel like somebody's hobbyproject abd an experiment in quality control abstinence.

Oct 9, 2024 11:53 AM in response to endelight

This method not appear to work for me, unfortunately. I'm also backing up with Time Machine to Synology NAS.

Tried removing the Time Machine target in System Settings, and disabled/reenabled "Bonjour Time Machine broadcast via SMB" in DiskStation's Control Panel > File Services, re-added the Time Machine target. Still getting the error: "The network disk disconnected from your Mac while backing up."

I have two Synology NAS devices, and several Macs running MacOS Sequoia 15.0.1 – none of them can currently finish a Time Machine backup to any Synology NAS. However, all of the Macs could complete Time Machine backups to the same NAS devices in version MacOS Sequoia 15.0.

Oct 9, 2024 3:58 AM in response to tudes111

My physical FW is independent of Mac OS - it's a physical device. It's still the same issue in Sequoia 15.0.1 -> turning on Mac OS firewall breaks TimeMachine backup to a NAS. It's really horrible.

I always rely on a two-stage FW: physical device and Mac OS, never trust a single source. I currently just need to remember to turn on Mac OS FW starting a business trip to be safe in hotels and public networks.

Oct 14, 2024 9:53 AM in response to NBT123

After two failed migrations on 15.0.1 (I thought that it was my fault the first time …) I reverted the MBA M3 to Sonoma 14.7, and migrated again. TM works now, and I’ve created a usable sparse bundle from the new machine (as well as having two good ones in reserve from the old machine.

There are better ways to spend a weekend.

I have spoken to my firewall provider, and understand that 15.1 fixes the various firewall and network problems that were so freely given in 15.0.1. Lets hope that it’s soon and that they’re correct!  

Oct 7, 2024 5:49 AM in response to matthias260

I've had the same problem too. Time Machine backups started to fail after upgrade to OS 15.0.1. Both on a network attached storage (NAS) device AND on a Mac Mini as backup destination.

On the Mac to be backed up (MacBook Pro M3, source), I went to Settings, then Time Machine, and removed the destination that was failing. But I could not add it again until I did the following.

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

For backing up that Mac (source) to another Mac computer (destination): I went to Settings on the destination Mac, selected General, File sharing, added the destination device/folder, and then right clicked on the added device/folder, and selected “Share as a Time Machine backup destination,” then clicked OK.

Then on the Mac I wanted to backup from (source), I saw the external Mac destination for doing the backup. Add the new destination, choose to use the same backup device/folder as before, and let it do the next backup.

However, it failed again on the Mini as destination: "The network disk disconnected from your Mac while backing up".

The NAS I'm using is on an AirPort Extreme (old Apple device with USB connection to a 6TB hard drive). It very recently started failing backups too with the same error message as for the Mini as a destination.

Finally, I am running Bitdefender on both the M3 MacBook Pro and M1 Mini, BUT I have disabled its protection for Time Machine backups since that previously interfered with doing backups over the LAN (several years ago now).

I have not disabled the MacOS firewall in network settings on either the MBP or Mini.

What causes TimeMachine backups to fail on NAS devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.