You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Locked Notes on macOS

So this isn’t a question but an answer to some old questions I saw some people asking about how they had a locked note in their iCloud that they couldn’t open on their mac.

You would try to open the note on your macOS and get

“Unsupported Note. This notes uses unsupported features. To view or edit, upgrade to a later version of macOS”

Well all the answers that I saw on here didn’t really tell you why that was happening.

If you went and made a note on your phone and set a password to that note, it sets that password using your FaceID. The same note using iCloud on my macOS device doesn’t use FaceID so it has no way to unlock it. This would be the “unsupported feature.”

So to fix this all you have to do is remove the lock and add a new lock, but this time instead of using FaceID, set it to a password using a mixture of letters and/or numbers.

Now you will able to unlock your note from both iOS and macOS.

This took a little bit to figure out because everyone was just saying it was an upgrading to the latest version of “OS” (even though all of my stuff was fully updated to the latest) or it is a glitch that will be fixed soon, but that wasn’t the case.

Like I said, this is helping and older problem but hopefully it will help someone who is running into this situation a lot faster.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 5:58 PM

There are no replies.

Locked Notes on macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.