You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Final Cut Green Screen Keyer Changes

Up until very recently, Final Cut Pro was a dream at cutting out the Green Screen when dropping in the built in Green Screen Keyer effect. I'd add it to a clip, all green would be gone and very little tweaking was required on my end.

Recently, this has not been the case. I will drop the built in Green Screen Keyer on a clip and weird parts of the actor on screen (a puppet I've filmed the same way for years) would be weirdly pixelated and not even a little of the background green would be removed.

Yes, I know I can go in and completely resample the green and get it to look okay, and that's what I do.

I am just wondering what might have caused this to happen when nothing about my setup changed (green screen, phone, computer, etc). Is there some master setting I clicked accidentally? In Final Cut, on my iPhone, etc? It just used to be so bullet proof.

Sample of the original footage (1st pic) and what happens when I add the keyer effect (2nd pic) attached. Also listed my equipment.

Equipment:

Mac Studio M2 Ultra

192 GB

macOS 14.6.1 (23G93) - Can't to the latest yet due to waiting on a mission critical piece of software to be updated.

Final Cut Pro 10.8

Filmed on:

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Footage:

2160 × 3840

MPEG-4 AAC, Timed Metadata, HEVC

HD (1-1-1)

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 1:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 7:00 PM

The items I notice:

• Gatekeeper disabled - Gatekeeper security protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.
  • Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.
  • No TimeMachine backups
  • 3rd party Intego anti-virus is installed
  • Google's keystone and autoupdate software is installed

I don't know if Etrecheck is accurately reporting that the built-in security software on Sonoma is not running since there is an XProtect update listed on 10/2. I don't have any experience with Intego, but if you feel the need to run 3rd party anti-malware software, long-time contributors here recommend Malware Bytes that is only run on demand, not installed to run continuously in the background as it appears is the case with Intego.

Google's autoupdating software has caused issues with the Mac's video subsystem, breaking FCP and requiring a reinstall from the AppStore after removing everything Google scatters across your drive. See https://chromeisbad.com for instructions on how to completely remove. Simply trashing Chrome.app is not enough. If a Chrome-like browser is necessary, Edge has been recommended by others here.

If not Time Machine, be sure to use another backup strategy.

If it were me, I'd uninstall Intego and use Malware Bytes instead, then uninstall all Google's cruft, reboot and reinstall FCP from the AppStore.

34 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2024 7:00 PM in response to Grant Baciocco1

The items I notice:

• Gatekeeper disabled - Gatekeeper security protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.
  • Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.
  • No TimeMachine backups
  • 3rd party Intego anti-virus is installed
  • Google's keystone and autoupdate software is installed

I don't know if Etrecheck is accurately reporting that the built-in security software on Sonoma is not running since there is an XProtect update listed on 10/2. I don't have any experience with Intego, but if you feel the need to run 3rd party anti-malware software, long-time contributors here recommend Malware Bytes that is only run on demand, not installed to run continuously in the background as it appears is the case with Intego.

Google's autoupdating software has caused issues with the Mac's video subsystem, breaking FCP and requiring a reinstall from the AppStore after removing everything Google scatters across your drive. See https://chromeisbad.com for instructions on how to completely remove. Simply trashing Chrome.app is not enough. If a Chrome-like browser is necessary, Edge has been recommended by others here.

If not Time Machine, be sure to use another backup strategy.

If it were me, I'd uninstall Intego and use Malware Bytes instead, then uninstall all Google's cruft, reboot and reinstall FCP from the AppStore.

Oct 6, 2024 12:54 AM in response to Grant Baciocco1

There is nothing wrong with FCP 10.8.1 per se as for a test I did this on my 2017 iMac and M2 Mac mini.

The key took instantly so either there is something wrong with your computer or modus operandi.

I suspect the latter. Could you post a screen capture video of how you are adding the key?

PS. The only thing that appears to be different is that my Spill Level is only 46% whereas yours is 73%.

Could you also drop your clip in iMovie and see how the green screen behaves there.

Oct 3, 2024 5:59 PM in response to Grant Baciocco1

Not sure this will help but it's always an easy thing to try when things behave oddly: reset FCP settings. Hold Option and Command while launching FCP and choose Delete Settings/Preferences. It will open the default Untitled library. Re-open the library you were working on, set the Preferences back to the way you like them (disable background rendering, reset Import to Leave Files in Place, etc.) and see if the issue has been resolved.

The latest FCP version is 10.8.1. Always make a zip backup of FCP before upgrading in case you need to revert. Have you tried creating a new library in 10.7.x to test the green screen behavior?

Oct 5, 2024 3:05 PM in response to terryb

terryb wrote:

Thanks.

I uninstalled Intego, dumped all the Chrome stuff as per that website. Trashed and reinstalled FCP from the App Store and I'm still getting the same results.

I'm all set on Malware and Gatekeeper and my backup plan. I appreciate the concern.

Oct 6, 2024 2:03 PM in response to Grant Baciocco1

I've been getting "mixed results"! ... which is totally weird. [To preface this: I'm still in FCPX 10.4.10].

Apple renamed "Keyer" to "Green Screen Keyer", but from what I can tell, they didn't really change anything — all the parameters are still the same. Well here's the thing: Keyer, at least, is also a Blue Screen Keyer and I think it might check for blues first (in some cases, at least).

This is what happened when I dropped Keyer on your still:

All of the blue check boxes were keyed and *not* the green screen. [BTW, this does not happen every time... like I said... weird. Sometimes it takes the blue, sometimes the green... go figure.]

Is there *any* blue in your clip? At the beginning?

Does the Green Screen Keyer work if you click on Sample Color and draw a box on the green area in your clip? But before you do that: dial down the Color Selection and check what the Chroma looks like — does it look like this (blues):

or like this (greens):

or some other color ? (not likely)

Does the behavior of the Effect change if the clip is a connected clip as opposed to a storyline clip?

Oct 6, 2024 2:42 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the reply. There's no clear blue in the clip. Just the green screen and the white puppet. I can't account for minor shades of blue due to shadows or anything but it's really just the green screen and the puppet.

Just dropping the Green Screen Keyer on the clip gives me this result:

Yes, I can sample the color and it works, it's just not as bulletproof as it used to be. It takes a lot more work to 'get it right' then it used to.

Oct 7, 2024 1:15 AM in response to Grant Baciocco1

I will drop the built in Green Screen Keyer on a clip and weird parts of the actor on screen (a puppet I've filmed the same way for years) would be weirdly pixelated and not even a little of the background green would be removed.

The green screen keyer worked perfectly and I had no issues at all. I checked every frame one by one.

macOS:Ventura 13.6.6 FCP:10.7.1 Media optimized

Oct 8, 2024 1:04 PM in response to Grant Baciocco1

I think I might have figured it out. I selected my Library and in the Library Properties pane clicked Modify. This brought up this window:

I changed it from Standard to Wide and the background was instantly gone from my video just like old times.

This is a library I've used for several years so obviously this change never got made like it would have if I created a brand new library.

Thanks everyone for all your help. It did help me track down, I believe, the culprit.

Oct 4, 2024 12:55 AM in response to Grant Baciocco1

Over the years I have had weird effects with the green screen . . . not working properly, image looking transparent etc.

Usually by deleting the key and starting again or relaunching FCP has cured it.

It's not a bug but a glitch that has occurred occasionally with various versions and is probably due to some peculiarity of my setup or modus operandi.

Final Cut Green Screen Keyer Changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.