You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Markup issue/bug IOS 18.0 photo editor

I have a 14 plus, updated to IOS 18.0, and have noticed an issue with the Markup tool when editing photos…specifically when trying to change the color of text when adding text to a photo.

I added a video of what happens, essentially when I click on the existing text to change it to another color (as I’ve done so many times before) when the toolbar opens to change, it offers the choices, I click on the circle to change color, and the pallet selection then opens…before I can click on a choice, the whole thing closes on it’s own. When I try to reopen it, it opens and instantly closes by itself. It looks like a bug/conflict. Thanks.

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 8:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 10:16 AM

This has happened to me as well on my 14 Plus, so I’m glad I’m not the only one this is happening to. I’ve also had issues where I try to open the tool bar for both text and shapes to change the color, line width, etc. and it doesn’t open at all, or opens for a nano second and closes right away. Additionally, after I change the end shape of the arrow and hit done, it takes me fully out of markup and I have to go back in.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2024 10:16 AM in response to ElmoWeekly

This has happened to me as well on my 14 Plus, so I’m glad I’m not the only one this is happening to. I’ve also had issues where I try to open the tool bar for both text and shapes to change the color, line width, etc. and it doesn’t open at all, or opens for a nano second and closes right away. Additionally, after I change the end shape of the arrow and hit done, it takes me fully out of markup and I have to go back in.

Oct 17, 2024 11:46 PM in response to JeweleighMae

I have a 15 Pro Max and ever since the iOS 18 update, when I go to add text to a photo, I can’t even find the option at all to add the text. I can’t find the markup option anywhere! I have watched a tutorial on YouTube thinking that I may be missing it somewhere, but where it is supposed to be located at the top right corner instead of the little marker icon, it has a little timer instead. I’ve clicked on so many things, and I just cannot find it. So if anyone can help with this problem, I would truly appreciate it. The earlier iOS version were so much easier than this one, but I do like the other a lot of the other features that iOS 18 has though. I wish that they would give tutorials along with the updates, especially when they have changed so much and rearranged a lot of things on this particular update. Smh 🤦‍♀️

Oct 18, 2024 10:33 PM in response to ElmoWeekly

Same issues here. Had a 12 Pro, updated to iOS 18, immediately noticed that changing text color in markup wouldn’t work, almost as if the color screen was force closing. It fixed itself for a couple days, then the same issue came back. My husband has a 14 Pro, my son has a 14, and their markup works just fine. I just upgraded to a 16 Pro since I was eligible for an upgrade and my 12 Pro became so laggy. I have the same issues with markup with my 16 Pro as I did with my 12 Pro, so it’s not a phone issue. The issue seems very user specific, but I do think it’s an issue with iCloud. I can save a photo to my files, open up the photo within the files app, and markup works just fine. It does not work through the photo app.

Oct 19, 2024 1:34 PM in response to ElmoWeekly

Well, I confirmed last night that it is not a phone issue - at least for me. I erased all data from my iPhone 12 Pro after transferring over to my 16 Pro, so it was no longer tied to any Apple account or an iCloud when I took a picture to test. Markup worked just fine. When just the day before yesterday when my 12 Pro was my only phone, I was having issues with markup.

Markup issue/bug IOS 18.0 photo editor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.