You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Which 4K monitor for 2013 Mac Pro???

I currently use an ancient Acer 22" monitor with my 2013 Mac Pro (this monitor is from the Windows Vista days). I am looking to upgrade to a 4K 27" monitor. I am presuming that I can just hook the monitor up using a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable (I have been seeing that the HDMI port will not support 4K).

I am looking at this monitor: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802759633-USE/acer_um_hx3aa_p02_nitro_xv3_series_27.html

Has anyone used this monitor (or one similar) with good 4K results? Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The monitor that I choose will also be used with a future Mac Studio (most likely the M4 model, if they ever decide to release one).

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 6:55 PM

12 replies

Oct 6, 2024 8:28 PM in response to Wakko Warner

Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Your Mac has six Thunderbolt 2 ports. These are old-style Thunderbolt ports with Mini DisplayPort connectors that can double as Mini DisplayPorts. It also has a HDMI version 1.4 port.

Although your Mac can drive three 5K displays, they must be the type that accept input on two physical cables. As far as I know, there are no adapters that you can use to combine two Thunderbolt 2 outputs from the 2013 Mac Pro into a single Thunderbolt 3 output for a modern 27" 5120x2880 pixel display (Apple, LG, or Samsung).

Neither Apple's Technical Specifications nor MacTracker indicate the maximum resolution for a connection involving a single Thunderbolt 2 port (whether operating as a Thunderbolt 2 port, or as a Mini DisplayPort).

MacTracker claims that the maximum resolution on the HDMI port is "up to 4096 by 2160 pixels at 24 Hz."

A Google search led to this Apple Discussions thread

2013 Mac Pro Maximum Resolution - Apple Community

It has a post by Mr. Bennet-Alder which links to the archived Apple Support article

Use multiple displays with your Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Apple Support

which describes the "Display configurations you can use with your Mac Pro (Late 2013)." This article does not say anything about the possibility of using two Thunderbolt 2 outputs to support one dual-cable 5K display – perhaps since all of the 5K displays that accepted that form of input were discontinued years ago.

Oct 2, 2024 7:25 AM in response to Wakko Warner

That one should work fine. Keep your cablers under 1 meter, and don't believe the shipped in the box cable if it gives you any trouble.

Consumer Reports liked ASUS PA28QV as a good HD monitor. its big brother is available for US$388.63, B&H is closing at 2 PM today Tues 2 Oct for Rash Hashana

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1763798-REG/asus_proart_display_pa279cv_27.html

Oct 2, 2024 8:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Unfortunately, the cable will be 6' or so, due to how the desk is designed/laid out. My biggest issue with it is that I don't know if that hood is removable (I have a question on the B&H website, so we'll see if anyone answers).

I just looked at this monitor and it would probably be a better choice:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/803049824-USE/viewsonic_vp2785_4k_27_16_9_usb.html

Oct 2, 2024 8:58 AM in response to Wakko Warner

DisplayPort Displays at 4K up to 75Hz are running at 17.28 Gbits/sec. 2 meters is the absolute upper limit.

Anything higher requires a bump up in speed to 25.92 Gbits/sec, which definitely requires cables under a meter. It turns out DisplayPort over ThunderBolt connection instead of DisplayPort does not improve the cable lengths, which are limited to 0.8 meters for super-engineered Apple brand cables, and only 0.5 meters for brand X Thunderbolt cables.

Oct 2, 2024 6:46 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've done some more research, but I am still not clear on this. I found an LG Thunderbolt 3 monitor (5K). If I use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, will I be able to use this monitor in 4K? And why is there such a limitation on getting 4K resolution on some connections due to cable length? Shouldn't the industry do better?

I am pretty sure that HDMI 2.2 can drive 4K resolution up to a 50' cable length. Why can't the other cables? Just trying to gain some knowledge and make sure that I get the right monitor. The LG below should work fine with a Mac Studio M2 or M4 (upcoming). Let me know what you think.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499337-REG/lg_27md5klb_b_27_ultrafine_5k_16_9.html/qa

Oct 2, 2024 7:12 PM in response to Wakko Warner

HDMI uses 5 Volt signal levels, up to and including 4K displays at 60 Hz. HDMI uses a signing method unique to HDMI and Single-Link DVI.

Above 4K at 60 Hz, HDMI switches to the same signaling method used by DisplayPort, but requires ULTRA cables. There is no specification on the maximum cable length, but if it works over about a meter of cable I would be VERY surprised, because nothing else using that method at that data rate works on over a meter of cable..

Oct 2, 2024 7:14 PM in response to Wakko Warner

<< If I use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, will I be able to use this monitor in 4K? >>

You could drive up to three displays like that at 5K, provided your displays are genuine ThunderBolt. The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter passes Thunderbolt, ONLY. In addition to the Thunderbolt adapter, I think you may need a ThunderBolt-2 cable, and they can be pricey as well.

Originally, this model reportedly supported as many as three 4K displays or six Thunderbolt displays. However, on June 16, 2015, without updating the graphics cards themselves, Apple quietly increased the official support to as many as three 5K displays (5120x2880) -- two using Thunderbolt 2 ports and one using the HDMI port. The support for as many as six 2560x1600 displays using all six Thunderbolt 2 ports remained unchanged.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-3.7-xeon-e5-gray-black-cylinder-late-2013-specs.html

Oct 11, 2024 2:43 PM in response to Wakko Warner

I just received the LG UltraFine 27" 5K thunderbolt monitor today. When I first hooked it up, the display would not turn on. After fiddling with the cable (I am using a Thunderbolt 2 cable, with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter), it finally came on. However, I can not adjust the brightness or any other settings.

It also would not come back on after a reboot. So, I happened to have a Thunderbolt 3 dock (in anticipation of a future Mac), so I hooked it up using that. The monitor comes on, but again - no adjustments available. If anyone has done this before, let me know how you got it to work reliably. I have not had a chance to do a reboot and see if it comes back on again, so I will update on that.

Oct 11, 2024 2:55 PM in response to Wakko Warner

Okay. It now shows video on boot when using the dock, so no issue there. But, it is only running at 2,560 X 1,440, which I figured might happen. I just need to know if it is because of adapting Thunderbolt 3 to 2. I really need to turn the brightness down, as it is REALLY bright. I will probably hook my old monitor back up for now. I do have a chance to purchase a used Mac Studio, but it is the M2 Max (I would like to have the Ultra). I am pretty sure that the monitor will work fine with the newer machine, but I didn't want to spend the money just yet.

Which 4K monitor for 2013 Mac Pro???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.