You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Sharing additional Time Capsule partitions

Following up on Apple Time Capsule partitioning - Apple Community I basically did the same thing: replace the old 2 TB hard drive in the TC with a new 16 TB one, and go through the procedure of setting it up in the AirPort utility, connecting it externally to create a new partition using the disk utility, and putting it back again in the TC.

While this worked beautifully, the drawback is that you cannot see the new partition once it is back in the Time Capsule. How can you nevertheless access that partition and preferably also write to it? I could not figure out, what the OP in the mentioned post hinted at exactly.

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 1:13 PM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2024 8:21 AM in response to nextlover

Interestingly enough, with the disk back in the Time Capsule, the second partition is being displayed along the regular "Data" in the Finder.

The info window correctly states the remaining free space (I copied some stuff onto it), that partition is accessed as a network volume using the afp protocol (format "AppleShare") and the Finder does not display the files I copied to that volume. This is also what df -h reveals:

//[USER]@[TCName]._afpovertcp._tcp.local/TM%20Backup%20Area  9.1Ti  2.3Ti  6.7Ti    26%  157668350   452666826   26%   /Volumes/TM Backup Area

//[USER]@[TCName]._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Data                5.5Ti  3.0Ti  2.5Ti    55%  798053666   666485672   54%   /Volumes/Data

I'm using MacOS 13.7 by the way. Now, How to: mount time capsule drive via the … - Apple Community

clearly states (and the output of df -h above confirms this) that the TC volumes can only be accessed directly via afp or smb. And smb is ruled out, because the TC ion course is not an SMB file server.

But the thread in the post I linked to in my first message strongly suggests that the OP could indeed access the files from outside. I just don't see how. Or how I could use mount_afp otherwise.

Oct 7, 2024 12:32 AM in response to BDAqua

Now this is when I mounted the disk outside the TM, using a USB connection, the 10 TB partition being the additional one not to be used by the Time Capsule:

/dev/disk5 (external, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.0 TB    disk5

1:                  Apple_HFS APconfig                1.1 GB     disk5s1

2:                  Apple_HFS APswap                  1.1 GB     disk5s2

3:                  Apple_HFS Data                    6.0 TB     disk5s3

4:                  Apple_HFS TM Backup Area          10.0 TB    disk5s4

And this is the result when it's back in the Time Capsule:

/dev/disk5 (disk image):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        +15.2 TB    disk5

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk5s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk6         15.2 TB    disk5s2

/dev/disk6 (synthesized):

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +15.2 TB    disk6

Physical Store disk5s2

1:                APFS Volume Backups von talisker... 3.2 TB     disk6s1

Sharing additional Time Capsule partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.