You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

New Photos with Sequoia will not save edits

Trying to edit a photo in Sequoia's Photos app--brand new machine, just installed two days ago, iMac--and nothing will save. It will always revert. Of course this is my 87 year old father's machine and he uses exactly two apps--Photos and Mail. We've rebooted, etc. etc.

Perhaps a known new operating system issue that a patch is to fix?

Or somebody has a fix?

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 4:49 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2024 8:46 AM in response to pjcusimano

Since this works for me and not for you, I think that we can't expect an OS update to make a difference.

To get back to square one, I suggest you try these things:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Re-start in Safe Mode. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes. Safe Mode is different for different computers, so see this: 

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

• Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens. You can create a new Library by closing Photos and then option-clicking on the Photos icon.
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.

The idea is to find out if the problem is with the Library, with your account, or with caches and login items, and stuff like that. One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work also helps figure out what's happening.

Oct 18, 2024 9:10 AM in response to pjcusimano

Hello,

I am facing the same problem after the update to Sequoia.

The workaround that I am using that has solved the problem for me is to convert the pictures to JPEG using the built-in utility in the finder before the import to photos app.

I select all the pictures in the folder, right click, quick actions, convert image, convert to JPEG.

If I import to the photos app the converted files (virtually equal to the original ones) everything works fine for me.

Maybe this workaround can fix the problem also for you while we wait for updates.

Oct 4, 2024 7:25 AM in response to pjcusimano

You may want to look at the trusted 3rd party app PowerPhotos ($30) that makes importing Libraries much easier. It preserves the album structure, as well. I bet it would work. The free trial may support this, but I don't remember back that far.

I asked those last questions for these reasons: iCloud Photos is great for synchronizing my iPad and iPhone with my Mac, but Optimize Storage comes with some complications. For instance, Optimize may keep smaller images locally to save space, so the full Library can't be backed up. I don't use Optimize on my Mac, but I do on my phone and iPad where space is more limited. But I want to keep one Library "optimize" free.

On an iMac, it's very reasonable to keep the Photos Library on an external drive to save space on the internal drive, if you need to. But the drive must be properly formatted. If you intend to use an external drive, see this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

For a laptop, however, using an external drive for an iCloud synced Photos Library has its own issues.

Oct 1, 2024 9:09 AM in response to pjcusimano

Photos works normally for me on my M3 MacBook with Sequoia.

Can you tell us the steps you go through? For instance, when I edit a picture, I hit the spacebar to get a full preview, and then I hit Return to go into Edit Mode. I make adjustments (mostly the Levels curve and the Light bars,) and I might hit the weird little dark/light icon to see what changes I made.

If I like it, I hit Done. The editing tools go away, and the picture looks like my adjustment. Hitting "Revert" will always return to the original look.

What do you do?

It's a new machine, so I imagine nothing odd, but do you use iCloud Photos? If so, do you have "Optimize Storage" checked? Is the Photos Library in the Pictures folder or on an external drive? Is there plenty (more than 20%) of disk storage free?

Oct 4, 2024 7:06 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Make changes, hit "done," and then it didn't save. Not iCloud photos, all local. Plenty of storage in a 1TB free, internal drive.

Apple tells us it is now an issue of migration of older images et al from a machine running Sierra; so I've had to wipe all clean and manually move items. That means, however, none of the folders the old man made for the images have moved over, but we're dealing with that. Blaming the migration is odd given the destination software of Photos is new, but that's what they said.

I will be able to check the new install this weekend, noting your comments on optimizing storage, etc. and will advise!

Oct 6, 2024 8:38 AM in response to pjcusimano

Update--this still doesn't work.

Sequioa has been updated to 15.0.1, and Photos remains 10.0 (791.0.230)

No photos edits save. Everything is stored locally, nothing on the cloud. Any new photo coming down can be added to library but no edits save. Not using optimize storage.

Following the same workflow path as you--make the edit, hit "done." but then when you go back to the library it is the original, and when you open again, it is the original

New Photos with Sequoia will not save edits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.