You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers keyboard shortcut: Add a row at the bottom without selecting anywhere

I have a big spreadsheet in Numbers on my Mac that I update frequently

What I want to do is: Command-Tab to the spreadsheet, then without clicking anywhere or selecting anything, hit a keyboard shortcut that gives me a new row at the bottom of the spreadsheet, ready for entering data.

Every keyboard shortcut tutorial I have seen starts with 'Select the cells/select the rows...' I don't want to select anything, I just want a new row at the bottom of my spreadsheet where the next thing I type appears in the first cell.

Am I missing something? Do I have to write an AppleScript? Is this the dumbest question ever asked by someone about spreadsheets?

Thanks in advance

iMac 27″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 1:16 AM

1 reply

Sep 30, 2024 1:40 AM in response to SGQuery

A spreadsheet in Numbers refers to a document. A spreadsheet does not have rows/columns. A document contains sheets and on each sheet you can have tables, charts and other objects. A table has rows/columns.

As you have probably discovered, command-tab will take you to the Numbers application, but not to a specific table on a sheet within a document.

You could consider using a Shortcut, which you would set up via the Shortcuts App. There is an 'Add Row to Top or Bottom of Table' action that you could adapt to your needs. Here I have a simple example where it inserts text. Yours would want to ask you for input.

Once you've got the Shortcut working the way you want, you can add a keyboard shortcut.

I generally just use the built-in Numbers interface, which is quite efficient. If you haven't done so already, have a look at the list of keyboard shortcuts at Help > Keyboard Shortcuts in your menu.

SG

Numbers keyboard shortcut: Add a row at the bottom without selecting anywhere

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.