You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I have unique items that I am giving to people to work on, they may take more than on at various times,

I have a table with 2 columns, column A has about 50 Unique item numbers (sorted). column B is where I assign each item to one of the people working on it. A person may take more than one item at various times, I want to count how many people are on the list, I.E. count for the number of unique people doing the work,

It seems that Excel has Count Unique. I do not see this in numbers,

iMac 27″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 9:03 AM

2 replies

Sep 29, 2024 3:17 PM in response to Bill Fischer

You can do this easily via a pivot table.

Select the table, then go Organize -> Create Pivot Table -> On New Sheet or On Current Sheet as you prefer.

Initially you'll get a blank table. In the sidebar, drag the 'Name' column to the Rows field, and then drag it again to the Values field - this will populate the table by unique name, showing the total occurrences for each name.

If you want to total the number of unique names, just click the (i) alongside Name in the Values box and choose Count (unique). You should have something that looks like this:

And your pivot table should look like:

showing 6 unique names.

I have unique items that I am giving to people to work on, they may take more than on at various times,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.