You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Grave key isn't next to the key [!1] on my MacBook Pro

The keyboard on my new MacBook Pro is different from my old iMac. The Grave key isn't the one next to the key [!1]. I need to find it to do a slip edit a clip independently without slipping its connected clip in Final Cut Pro.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 1:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 2:05 AM

It may be at the bottom left corner of your keyboard but you are not giving us any information… a picture of the keyboard maybe? Or open the keyboard viewer on your screen and post a screenshot.

22 replies

Sep 29, 2024 2:19 AM in response to independentfilmmaker

independentfilmmaker wrote:

The keyboard on my new MacBook Pro is different from my old iMac. The Grave key isn't the one next to the key [!1].

What is printed on that key instead? Apple makes a couple dozen different keyboards, you need to tell us which one you have. If British, grave will be next to Z.

Also tell us what you have on the list at system settings > keyboard > text input > edit > all input sources.

Sep 29, 2024 7:48 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I will rephrase it. When I move (slip) the contents of a clip in the primary storyline using the trim tool, the connected clip moves with it. However, I want to move the contents of the clip in the primary storyline but not the connected clip. I used to be able to do that by pushing the Grave key, but not anymore. When I push the Grave key, its icon changes but the clip in the primary storyline doesn't move.

Sep 29, 2024 11:09 AM in response to independentfilmmaker

independentfilmmaker wrote:

I will rephrase it. When I move (slip) the contents of a clip in the primary storyline using the trim tool, the connected clip moves with it. However, I want to move the contents of the clip in the primary storyline but not the connected clip. I used to be able to do that by pushing the Grave key, but not anymore. When I push the Grave key, its icon changes but the clip in the primary storyline doesn't move.

Sorry if this is obvious, but is there extra media in that clip? If not then there is nothing to slip.

FWIW, I have tried this (Trim tool, hold down grave) with the British layout, and it is working just as expected.

Grave key isn't next to the key [!1] on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.