You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

sharing ms office docs does this mean i should have anti-virus

on my previous mac i had ran Norton anti-virus as i connected my mac to my employer's network sharing totally ms products. I will now only share ms docs etc with friends via e-mail, as my employer does not allow connection to their network by macs.

i note that on here the general opinion seems to be that anti-virus is not needed. Therefore, even though i will be sharing ms docs and running office 365 on my system, can i still get away without any anti-virus.

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 28, 2024 9:36 AM

2 replies

Sep 28, 2024 11:32 AM in response to johnsig

macOS already has great built-in security especially when combined with the user also practicing safe computing habits as outlined in this excellent article written by a respected forum contributor (even applies equally well to Windows users):

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software all interfere with the normal operation of macOS (of any OS) at a very low level, so these types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve. Many of these types of apps are also collecting & selling your personal information and many also have had security vulnerabilities themselves which actually makes your system much less secure.

sharing ms office docs does this mean i should have anti-virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.