You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

In a Cinematic film being edited in Final Cut Pro 10.8.1 a white dot or dots appear in timeline.

I don't understand what the white dot (shown toward the bottom center of the uploaded image) on the timeline indicates. Anybody know?

Thanks

Mac Studio 2023 with Apple M2 Ultra. Final Cut Pro 10.8.1

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Sep 27, 2024 4:21 PM

4 replies

Sep 28, 2024 3:12 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Got it . . . they seem to be connected with auto or manual focusing. These are Apple's instructions.

Change the focus subject in a Cinematic mode video

Camera automatically identifies where to focus while you record in Cinematic mode and can automatically change focus if a new subject is identified. You can also change the focus subject manually.

1. Go to the Photos app  on your iPhone.
  2. Open a video you recorded in Cinematic mode, then tap .
  3. White dots under the frame viewer indicate where Camera automatically changed the focus while recording. Yellow dots indicate where the focus was manually changed.
  4. Play the video, or slide the white vertical bar in the frame viewer, to the point where you want to change the focus.
  5. Tap a subject, outlined in yellow, to change the focus; double-tap to set automatic focus tracking on the subject.
  6. A yellow dot appears under the frame viewer to indicate the focus was changed.
  7. Note: You can also touch and hold the screen to lock the focus at a specific distance from the camera.
  8. Repeat the steps above to change focus points throughout the video.
  9. To remove a manual focus change, tap the yellow dot under the frame viewer, then tap .
  10. Tap Done to save your changes.

Tap  to switch between automatic focus tracking and your manually selected focus points.

After you save your changes, you can revert a Cinematic mode video to the original if you don’t like your edits. Open the video, tap , then tap Revert to Original.

Here's the link . . .

Cinematic Editing

Sep 28, 2024 6:50 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

OK... Well, thank you very much because your answers led me toward understanding what that single large white dot is.

I believe the large white dot indicates that the focus has changed from a "target" I identified manually by tapping on the screen. The white dot indicates the time the camera has switched to auto focus. Then the dots continue as white dots until I manually chose another "target".

This makes sense to me because this movie is dynamic, not static. What I mean by that is that I am filming this from my car, driving down a highway, using my iPhone mounted on the car's dashboard for filming. So the scene changes constantly as I drive, and the iPhone's camera's focus changes as the scene changes, making lots of adjustments on the fly.

I think that's how it works. Thank you!

In a Cinematic film being edited in Final Cut Pro 10.8.1 a white dot or dots appear in timeline.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.