You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Detached audio clips sound different from the attached clips in playback.

In editing my iMovie, after detaching audio from a clip (to insert fade in, out, etc) in playback of the whole movie, the sound is different from the rest of the clips, even though the setting is exactly the same. Why?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 7:15 AM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2024 10:55 AM in response to Tahugo

Hi,

You didn't describe how the sound was different in the detached clip versus the embedded clip. I did a brief test and was not able to replicate your findings. The detached clip sounded the same as the embedded clip. Perhaps your other clips are in a different audio format.

Try exporting the project to your desktop and see if you get different results.

-- Rich

Sep 25, 2024 12:03 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich

Thank you. It's on my desk top now -- all the clips are in the same audio format. It seems to be where I've split the clips which of course splits the audio clips as well. And in these transitions, a hollow static sound can be heard. This only occurs where the audio clips were detached. I can live with it -- but I've gone through the project several times, checking audio formats, etc. It's not possible to reattach the clips is it? In trying to figure it out, I've actually reinstated the full clip without the detachment, and the hollow rushing or static sound is not there. Thank you for your help. Tara

Sep 25, 2024 1:05 PM in response to Tahugo

Hi, Tara,

The only way to reattach the detached audio is to export the detached audio and muted video clip video clip, and that will combine the two. Then re-import the combined clip into your iMovie project.

However, the easiest way is simply to drag from the Project Media into the timeline the original clip with its embedded audio.

-- Rich

Detached audio clips sound different from the attached clips in playback.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.