You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can I use my 27 Thunderbolt Display as a iMac or I need a cpu to run it?

Hello, so I have this apple 27 thunderbolt display and I'm not really sure how it works, I was told that a pc was already inside of the monitor that the only thing it was missing when they gave it to me was a controller to turn it on? I'm just a bit confused on how it would turn on and if there is another way too.

Serial #: ******

Please contact me to see if there is something I can do or if it needs a pc I would like to know

Thank you!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

[Edited by Moderator]

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 7:22 AM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2024 2:08 AM in response to gomezcrystal52

The Thunderbolt Display probably contains embedded computer circuitry. This would be like the computer circuitry built into a microwave oven or a USB keyboard – permanently dedicated to running the display, and not equipped to act as a general-purpose computer for running Mac, Windows, or Linux applications.

To connect one of these displays to a modern Mac, you'd need a $50 Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter. A USB-C (male) to Mini DisplayPort (female) adapter would not work – the connectors would fit, but the adapter wouldn't be able to provide the kind of input that the Thunderbolt Display needs.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the Thunderbolt Display does not have "hardware" menu controls … and that Apple never released software for adjusting brightness from any computer other than a Mac.

Can I use my 27 Thunderbolt Display as a iMac or I need a cpu to run it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.