You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Dictation not working after installing Sonoma 14.7

Before installing the new update dictation was working fine. Now not at all. I checked the settings and all is correct for dictation.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 6:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 1:22 PM

I have the same issue that emerged right after the 14.7 update. I tried everything mentioned here, plus suggestions from similar posts, including rebooting, resetting VRAM and deleting com.apple.assistant.plist.

May not be related, but all my Reminders disappeared after doing the update, which Apple Support said is not fixable. I've been on OSX since 1984 and have not seen anything like this.

22 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2024 1:22 PM in response to FiBCN

I have the same issue that emerged right after the 14.7 update. I tried everything mentioned here, plus suggestions from similar posts, including rebooting, resetting VRAM and deleting com.apple.assistant.plist.

May not be related, but all my Reminders disappeared after doing the update, which Apple Support said is not fixable. I've been on OSX since 1984 and have not seen anything like this.

Oct 2, 2024 1:57 AM in response to Enver Masud

Sadly this didn't work for me. I have tried many, many unsuccessful suggestions now and still have the same result - I hear a sound, see a brief flash of a symbol and then nothing happens when I start to dictate. Dictation is still working on my iphone but that's not a realistic place for the kind of work I need to do. There's clearly a problem with Sonoma 14.7 which Apple surely needs to fix. This is a serious issue for people with joint problems and many other disabilities.

Oct 21, 2024 5:49 AM in response to nwitmer

Thanks nwitmer et al. Dictation has stopped working on my MacBook Air as well just after the Sonoma 14.7 update. I've tried every single suggestion listed here, along with the installation of a 3rd party"cleaner" app - all to no avail. The internal microphone seems to be working OK: visual feedback is evident at "system settings / sound / input / input level". And the Dictation application itself works fine (as before the 14.7 update) with an external microphone. But without the addition of an external mic, Dictation quits immediately after flashing the blue icon briefly on the screen. During troubleshooting, I also noted that changing the dictation language was also problematic.

FWIW: Simultaneous phenomena. Correlation? The "Stickies" and "QuickTime Player" apps are now also malfunctioning; downloads, documents and desktop folders are also "disappearing/denying access", requiring me to unlock the system and make sharing and permission changes. New authorizations for "staff" and "wheel" are then also appearing here.

Hope this post will help others and/or prompt further investigation and resolution.

Sep 25, 2024 7:31 AM in response to FiBCN

My customers have been running into this also. While I will admit that I don't have a clear reason why, we seem to have figured a work around. Try following these steps:

1: Go into System Settings > Keyboard and disable Dictation. Slide the slider to the left.

2: Reboot the Mac

3: After the reboot, go to an app that you want to dictate to. I commonly have users use something simple like TextEdit or Messages.

4: Press the F5 key (if you have a keyboard with the microphone icon on it) or hit the Fn key twice (if you have a Touch Bar) to trigger Dictation. You should see this window:

5: Press OK which should prompt for:

6: Press Enable.

This process appears to be working to get Dictation running again. We've seen this across a wide variety of devices, users, and customers. Again, not 100% sure of the cause but I suspect a Transparency, Consent, and Control (TCC) setting change happened in 14.7. Can't prove it. Just suspect it.

Hope this works for you.

Oct 2, 2024 2:48 PM in response to nwitmer

I took the easy/expensive route and replaced my 2018 MacBook Air with a new M3 Air. It took a while to set it up, and a few hours to remember/reconstruct my Reminders (well, I remembered half of them). All the problems have disappeared, but since Apple told me that iCloud was for syncing, not file backups, I'll need to invest in a new SSD and use Time Machine for backups. The question is whether Time Machine handles Reminders, Notes, etc. Like most of the world nowadays, complexity is beginning to outpace enjoyment.

Oct 14, 2024 1:16 AM in response to FiBCN

Wondering if you have got anywhere with help to uninstall?

I had a helpful and sympathetic response from accessibility@apple.com, and I supplied all the hardware and software details they asked for. However they then requested videos and log files of me demonstrating the issue and the process became so convoluted and exhausting that I could no longer continue.

It involved downloading new software, signing up to a ton of new terms and conditions, setting up an icloud email account to handle large attachments (which it then couldn't) and many other demanding and ultimately fruitless procedures which are likely to be difficult, painful and / or fatiguing for someone who already needs a dictation facility. I have quite a technical background but this defeated me.

I appreciate that they need to know exactly what is happening, but I am sadly going to have to leave it with my report that the dictation facility that used to work fine on my hardware and software now no longer does, and that I am not the only person affected.

Oct 1, 2024 12:39 AM in response to FiBCN

After trying al the suggestions here I contacted Apple support. I spent over an hour on the phone to them. We tried everything here plus a suite of other "fixes", finally shutting down the computer and reinstalling the update which still didn't fix the issue.

Apple support have no idea how to fix this. The problem is clearly Sonoma 14.7 and until there is a new update that fixes this issue there is no solution.

Today I will ask them if there is a way to uninstall Sonoma 14.7 as it it making my work much more time consuming having to type everything!

Oct 14, 2024 10:21 AM in response to simplicitydrifter

Hi Simplicity Drifter,

Yes is seems that Apple has no interest in resolving this problem! It has seriously affected my life and I am now in severe pain due to having to type. Following a major accident I almost 100% relied on dictation for work. Now I have to type everything my damage shoulder is complaining vociferously and I am having to take high level pain killers just to do my job.

Surely on an "equal opportunity/accessibility basis Apple should be required to resolve this without us having to continually jump through hoops or pay to resolve this issue by buying new software etc.

Oct 18, 2024 12:47 AM in response to FiBCN

That sounds awful, I'm so sorry to hear how badly this is affecting you. I fortunately no longer have to do paid work, but this issue is seriously affecting my voluntary work as well as the general personal use that is so important when mobility is already a problem. I explained to Apple Accessibility that I could not supply them with the detailed further information they requested, and received a courteous reply:

We appreciate your time and efforts to help us document the Dictation concerns. We understand and honor your perspective and will file your feedback with the available data. Submitting logs and other supporting data is optional.

Our team will continue to monitor the investigation’s progress and follow up if we receive notice of a fix or workaround. 

For now, I'm resorting to dictating anything lengthy into my Iphone and then picking up the text on my MacBook, which I think could reasonably be described as less than satisfactory!

Dictation not working after installing Sonoma 14.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.