You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers offline - collaboration disabled

Sharing suddenly not possible in Numbers on Mac. Am prompted to use either iCloud.com or a newer Mac. Find it somewhat hard to accept that a MacBook Pro late 2017 is deemed too old. Is this a bug that will be fixed or an obsolete hardware issue? MacBook updated to Ventura 13.7 and Numbers version 14.1. Seems like Sonoma and Sequoia is not available.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.7

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 6:01 AM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2024 7:56 PM in response to terje175

Unable to test on my setup, but a 7-year-old computer is quite old. A lot has happened with hardware and software in those 7 years. May not be what you want to hear, but there is no substitute for keeping reasonably up to date if you want to have the best experience running Apple software on a Mac.

SG

Sep 30, 2024 12:53 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks for replying. I did change my MacBook Air after 7-8 years of service but that machine struggled to manage heavy spreadsheets at the time. This machine has no such issues and performs excellently. I've had no problems collaborating on documents in any application until very, very recently and all previous issues have been caused by minor software bugs that have been corrected. From both an economic and an environmental perspective, obsoletion is a catastrophe so Apple (and all other computer manufacturers for that matter) should strive to prolong product life span. For my use, I don't need a better and newer machine, I need the machine I have to be allowed to function the way it has.

Oct 1, 2024 12:20 AM in response to terje175

Different users need different things. I'm not sure how many Numbers users depend on the collaboration feature. Collaboration does seem to require the latest software versions. Hardware that is too old can't handle the latest software. That's just a fact of life. That may be unfortunate in your case. But I think many other users, including me, are happy to see the advancements in both hardware and software over the years and look forward to more to come.

SG

Numbers offline - collaboration disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.