You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Calendar freezes on iOS 18

Have just upgraded to ios18 (24 Sept) and now the calendar keeps freezing yet all other apps work fine. I have tried shut down and restart to no effect. I have also removed and reinstalled app, as well as resetting the iPad. Nothing has worked. Any suggestions please

iPad Pro, iPadOS 18

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 2:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2024 10:16 AM

The hang/CPU utilization was so bad for me I’ve been unable to remove the Exchange account. Charging also stopped due to overheating. Calendar even hung when simply tapping OK to acknowledge notification of an expected appointment.

11 replies

Sep 29, 2024 6:44 AM in response to young37

FYI see the following thread same issue: iOS 18 makes the calendar «freeze» - Apple Community. A member was able to fix the calendar freezing issue by resting the iPad and setting up "from scratch". Have asked for clarification but when you did your restore did you then use a backup from iCloud? Assuming if database was corrupted then indeed may need to start completely over but don't want to go through all this work if will still fail especially if does get fixed in an update.

Oct 2, 2024 4:03 PM in response to young37

For me, I determined it was my Exchange account that was causing the issue (my employer recently changed their security rules and doesn't allow Apple apps like Calendar to pull data). I couldn't even delete the Exchange account (Apps -> Mail -> Mail Accounts) - it showed up gray and unauthorized and didn't do anything when I tried to delete it. I had to go into accounts (Apps -> Mail -> Mail Accounts) and change the Fetch New Data on the Exchange account from Push to Fetch. This let me delete the Exchange account and that fixed the problem. It seems the Calendar was stuck in a mode of trying to continuously Push communicate with my Exchange account but not getting the response it needed, so it froze my calendar and killed my battery through background utilization. I now have to use Outlook (and its calendar and contacts) instead of the Apple version for my Exchange data (not ideal, as I did like having everything on one calendar). Good luck!

Sep 29, 2024 2:09 PM in response to Steve_E_203

Reposted from: iOS 18 makes the calendar «freeze» - Apple Community

Steve you are the man!!! Took my exchange account off on both my iPhone 15 Pro Max and 13" iPad Pro M4 rebooted and normal calendar function. Then readded exchange account and still normal calendar function. Hope battery function will normalize will report back if it does not.

Thank you!

Oct 13, 2024 4:11 AM in response to Nick_W_

same issue on my iPhone 14 pro /iOS 18.0.1.

When I connect the exchange Account the calendar app freeze and drain Battery. After disconnect everything works.

On my iPad mini iOS 15.8.3 and on my Mac Ventura 13.7. all accounts, including exchange, are connected and work fine (Mail,Contacts,Calendar,).

Hope Apple will fix it with the next iOS update.

Calendar freezes on iOS 18

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.