You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can't buy songs off iTunes anymore?

I am trying to buy a single song without joining Apple Music. Is this possible?

OS = Sonoma/ Mac Studio 2024

Yesterday I bought music and it worked fine. Until today it has worked fine. Today, I entered a song into the search bar top left. Select the song to play a sample, but instead of hearing any music, up pops the advert for me to sign up to Apple Music. When I click Not Now, the music sample does not play, and nor do I get a Buy Now button.

Please help me buy single songs, without having to sign up to Apple Music (even for the free 3 month trial).

This question has been posted in the past by someone else, but the answer didn't work. I do have iTunes Store clicked in settings and that tab is still not visible. I am still stuck with this constant demand to join rather than buy individual songs. It is strange that the iTunes store is making it more difficult to buy music.

It is also pretty annoying that the search bar doesn't seem to have an option to search the store first... it always looks through my own music library first. It worked better when the search was upper right side.

Mac Studio

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 3:55 PM

2 replies

Sep 24, 2024 4:29 PM in response to wilwhimsey

The search box does have an option of where to search. After clicking in the search box in the left sidebar, click the iTunes Store option at the top right of the main window. See the example below

If the 3 options at the top right of the main window aren't there, see the following.

In the Music app menu bar, choose Music > Settings or Preferences > General and insure Show iTunes Store is selected.

Then click in the search box at the top of the left sidebar and then click the iTunes Store option at the top right of the main window as shown in the example in Buy music from the iTunes Store on your Mac - Apple Support

If the 3 options don't appear at the top right of the main window after doing the above, 2 things to try:

1) If the View menu in the menu bar contains "Hide Playing Next" or "Hide Lyrics" then click that item so that it changes to "Show Playing Next" or "Show Lyrics."

2) If there is a very small “<” at the top left of the main window (to the right of the sidebar search box), click it one or more times until there is no “<” there.

Closing and reopening the Music app has also been reported to be needed in some cases.

Sep 24, 2024 5:51 PM in response to FoxFifth

The challenge was that I was doing those things but the three tabs in the upper right area were not showing up. I closed out the app and reopened it a couple times and kept experimenting and not sure what I did or if it was a glitch, but the tabs finally appeared. I can't say that I'm that crazy about this "new and improved version of iTunes" It seems glitchy. When I finally was able to purchase music, I had to type in my password every single time I bought another song... and this is while buying multiple songs one right after the other. Ever single time I had to sign into iTunes again before it would allow each single purchase. It just seems buggy. I've never had any particular issue with buying music off iTunes in the past.

But thanks for taking the time to respond. It was rather frustrating. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.