You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Microsoft Excel/Word/PPT all slow to open on iMac Ventura 13.6.9

when opening any Microsoft Office 365 app such as Microsoft Excel/Word/PPT, opening can take anywhere from 60+ seconds onwards. It is painfully slow.

iOS: I am on iMac iOS Ventura 13.6.9 and everything else runs smoothly. MAC: it is a 2017 model 3.8GHz Q/Core Intel Core i5 + 16GB 2400 MHz DDR4 and is fast with everything else.

The wording "Verifying Microsoft Word.app" comes up while it is verifying.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 3:47 PM

2 replies

Sep 25, 2024 7:27 AM in response to mccannmac

Macs run macOS, not iOS, which is for iPhones. Update your Mac to Ventura 13.7.

I have MS Office 2021 for Mac Home and Business with current updates (e.g. 16.89.1) and it is not installed on Ventura, but rather on Sequoia and previously on Sonoma 14.7. This is on an M2 Mac Mini Pro with fast internal storage and my Microsoft apps take under 7 seconds to launch.

If your iMac was configured with an internal Fusion drive, then it would not be surprising for the Microsoft applications to take some time to launch, though more than 60 seconds seems excessive. This would be even more painful if you powered the iMac and immediately tried to launch applications in conflict with several startup Apple housekeeping tasks such as Software Update, Spotlight, etc. which use most of your CPU cores.

Microsoft Excel/Word/PPT all slow to open on iMac Ventura 13.6.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.