You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Issue with Notes App after macOS Sequoia Update

Hello,

Since I updated my 2020 MacBook Air to macOS Sequoia, the Notes app has not been functioning properly. I am unable to open any of my saved notes; I click on them, but nothing happens. I have restarted both my laptop and the app several times, but the issue persists. I would appreciate any guidance on how to resolve this problem.

Thank you very much.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 2:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 4:31 PM

Same issue here. Mac studio up to date with 15.0.1 and notes crashes immediately and won't open at all.

9 replies

Sep 28, 2024 8:24 AM in response to rmv7

I seem to have found a little workaround at least.

I have this same problem. With or without VPN, with or without the login settings as mentioned by the earlier replyer.

What I have now found is that if I choose galery view instead of list view (see screenprint), I get to see at least the titles of my notes.

I can then doubleclick on a note, and then it opens! And it also syncs with iCloud.

It's the list view that seems completely broken. Galery isn't perfect at all either but at least I can see the titles and doubleclick them.

And: if all else fails, you could also log into the web version via Apple's icloud url - for as long as Apple hasn't fixed this annoying bug. So you can at least continue writing your notes.

Sep 24, 2024 6:09 AM in response to rmv7

My M1 iMac has no problems with Notes since the upgrade. If you restart in safe mode, because it doesn't load any login items you are able to see if Notes is being affected by a login item. You can check your login items in System Settings (just search for it) and turn them off one at a time with a restart in between.

Oct 12, 2024 4:31 AM in response to rmv7

I had an issue, whereby notes opened, but did not show the third column window for the single note. I switched to Gallery view, then it crashed.

I saw that I have had LibreOffice open and closed it.

Anyway now the app "notes" workes as normal....

> But it could be also, that as I just turned the Apple Mac on, that iCloud was syncing notes....

(I work on notes also an an iPad and quite intense...)

My mac is Apple M1 Max, OsX 15.0.1

Sep 24, 2024 5:37 AM in response to rmv7

This is a standard suggestion for diverse problems with macOS. If you have any antivirus, cleanup or VPN apps installed then uninstall them using the developers' instructions, they are not needed by macOS and are known to cause problems. Also it's a good idea to restart in safe mode followed by a normal restart.

Issue with Notes App after macOS Sequoia Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.