You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I prevent HTML tags from appearing on my iPhone calendar?

iPhone 7+, iOS 15.7.6

When I view entries in iPhone calendar, mostly created from Google calendar, there are typically MANY, MANY occurrences of <SPAN><SPAN><SPAN><SPAN> HTML tags in the notes field, interspersed all among my writing. I have tried to remedy this using many combinations of HTML code, but nothing works.

For example,

I tried using <HTML><TITLE>, closed as well, and wrapped all the notes in a title header, the notes don't show up at all.

I used HTML HEAD, closed properly - that didn't work

I've tried using <SPAN> at the beginning and </SPAN> at the end... didn't think THAT would work. It doesn't.

Also, just to be clear, I don't use ANY (not a single 1) blank spaces in my calendar notes. All notations are separated either with commas , or underscores ____. So I can't understand why my iOS is placing all these SPAN tags markers into my notes.

This question was asked before in 2022 about similar (but not exact) annoying appearances of HTML code in CAL notes, and NO ONE commented or answered. Even with almost 200 forum users saying ME TOO.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 11:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 7:36 AM

MikoDel wrote:

I'd just like to add that now, whenever I try to log into Apple Support, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I get 'Your account is locked for security reasons' and I have to do a RIDICULOUS DANCE, answering security questions, and entering my login creds 3X before I can get in. Maybe it's Apple's way of SCOLDING me for choosing NOT to upgrade my security prefs.
SO ANNOYING!!!!! If U think 2-factor ID is a great thing, WAIT TILL SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH YOUR PHONE and you can't use it to view security PIN messages. It's an absolute NIGHTMARE.

"Account locked for security reasons” means that there were a number of failed attempts to log in to your account, either by you or by someone trying to hack your account.

And two factor ID is a great thing if you set it up as instructed. If something goes wrong with your phone you can enter the security code on any other Apple device logged in to your Apple ID, or to “trusted” numbers that you add to your security settings.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2024 7:36 AM in response to MikoDel

MikoDel wrote:

I'd just like to add that now, whenever I try to log into Apple Support, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I get 'Your account is locked for security reasons' and I have to do a RIDICULOUS DANCE, answering security questions, and entering my login creds 3X before I can get in. Maybe it's Apple's way of SCOLDING me for choosing NOT to upgrade my security prefs.
SO ANNOYING!!!!! If U think 2-factor ID is a great thing, WAIT TILL SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH YOUR PHONE and you can't use it to view security PIN messages. It's an absolute NIGHTMARE.

"Account locked for security reasons” means that there were a number of failed attempts to log in to your account, either by you or by someone trying to hack your account.

And two factor ID is a great thing if you set it up as instructed. If something goes wrong with your phone you can enter the security code on any other Apple device logged in to your Apple ID, or to “trusted” numbers that you add to your security settings.

Sep 24, 2024 8:11 AM in response to MikoDel

MikoDel wrote:

NO!!! i was just typing plain English. for years.

It sounds as if Google Calendar is adding in the tags. If you're typing the notes in on the browser version of Google Calendar, you might want to click on the Remove Formatting icon.

Note that I'm using a university version of Google Calendar so it may be different for personal.

Oct 8, 2024 7:29 AM in response to MikoDel

MikoDel wrote:

Thank you for that very useful tip!!!! Selecting all the txt in my Goo calendar NOTES field (while using the Mozilla browser on my Macbook) and then clicking 'Remove Formatting' definitely improves the situation. I may have seen the odd HTML <SPAN> tag, maybe 1, but for the most part - THEY ARE GONE!!! And the problem before was RAMPANT. I would have to delete perhaps 30 occurrences of <SPAN> all thru my calendar notes. And not all in the same spot. Very hard to do on the phone without inadvertently messing up my notes. This doesn't seem to be happending anymore. Excellent suggestion to use an existing tool to stop that extremely annoying problem. };-]

Glad to hear it's helping.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions. I suggest you start another separate thread about that. You're more likely to catch the attention of someone who can help.

Oct 7, 2024 1:42 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you for that very useful tip!!!! Selecting all the txt in my Goo calendar NOTES field (while using the Mozilla browser on my Macbook) and then clicking 'Remove Formatting' definitely improves the situation. I may have seen the odd HTML <SPAN> tag, maybe 1, but for the most part - THEY ARE GONE!!! And the problem before was RAMPANT. I would have to delete perhaps 30 occurrences of <SPAN> all thru my calendar notes. And not all in the same spot. Very hard to do on the phone without inadvertently messing up my notes. This doesn't seem to be happending anymore. Excellent suggestion to use an existing tool to stop that extremely annoying problem. };-]

How can I prevent HTML tags from appearing on my iPhone calendar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.