You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Random shutdown on MacBook

There have been several posts about this issue. Press the On/Off button for maybe 5 seconds then let it reboot. Failing that, what may help is to put the computer in the fridge for an hour. It likes being cold. I did it a few times earlier this year over the course of maybe two weeks. After each time, it seemed to stay working for longer than before, giving me the chance to transfer important files to a desktop. Then it worked fine for several months, till last week it did it again several times in a single day. So, I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours and it now seems to be okay again. Another "fix" is to work with it on an ice-pack. All along, just watch out for condensation.

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 11:29 AM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2024 5:48 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you. Finally being able to install and activate the new OS has helped. There are still certain programs like Facebook that the system doesn't like and will instead redirect me to the log-in stage. I also operate the MacBook on a raised mesh surface, for better air circulation. One thing I must say about Apple computers is that they seem to have a way to fix themselves, or at least to operate more efficiently, perhaps through self-diagnosis and fixes, over time. I could never credit a PC for such a thing -- they just get more clunky the more issues they face.

Random shutdown on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.