You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

ios 18 mail stuck in "checking for mail"

Since the first iOS 18, my IMAP account works just fine after setting up then a few hours later or sometimes a day later, it just gets stuck in "Checking for mail" when trying to update my inbox. Though I can access other folders just fine. And the unread count in inbox seems to be correct.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling the mail app fixes the problem for a while but it usually comes back. Though it seems that if it doesn't get stuck for a couple of days, the problem does not come back until the next OS update.

The IMAP account works just fine the Mail.app on macOS 14 and 15 , iOS 17. I really never had had an issue before iOS 18. I used the feedback form during the beta but it has not been addressed.

Any suggestions welcome

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 16 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 10:07 AM

This is clearly not an issue with the server but with the ios18 mail client. Literally any other client works: outlook on iOS, mail on macOS, the mail app on all previous version of iOS.

6 replies

Sep 23, 2024 9:51 AM in response to DeadCanard

DeadCanard wrote:

Since the first iOS 18, my IMAP account works just fine after setting up then a few hours later or sometimes a day later, it just gets stuck in "Checking for mail" when trying to update my inbox. Though I can access other folders just fine. And the unread count in inbox seems to be correct.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling the mail app fixes the problem for a while but it usually comes back. Though it seems that if it doesn't get stuck for a couple of days, the problem does not come back until the next OS update.

The IMAP account works just fine the Mail.app on macOS 14 and 15 , iOS 17. I really never had had an issue before iOS 18. I used the feedback form during the beta but it has not been addressed.

Any suggestions welcome

[Edited by Moderator]

Report the issue your IMAP provider or look at their help site.

Oct 20, 2024 7:16 PM in response to DeadCanard

I was on the phone with Apple support and the problem was fixed. I had to delete the Apple email app on the iPad, reinstall the app, and then add the email account. Because I was using the POP protocol, all of email in all of the folders on my iPad was lost. Fortunately, I had my full inbox on another PC, but I lost the emails in the drafts and sent folders on the iPad.

ios 18 mail stuck in "checking for mail"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.