You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Add row above and insert data

G'day

I figured the best way to show this is in a video.

Thank you. Appreciate any advice/assistance.

Nic

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 4:30 AM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2024 5:25 AM in response to ctnic

For this I would use the Categories feature. It should take just a few minutes. Do something like this:

On the left is your table with the original data. Make sure you have a backup of it just in case.

1. Click in the column in the table that has RV02, RV03, etc., and in the menu go to Organize > Add Category for "C" [or whatever header you used for that column]. The result should be similar to the middle table in my screenshot.
  2. Create a new table on that sheet.
  3. Select the body cells in the categorized table (the middle table in the example) and command-c to copy.
  4. Click once in cell A2 of the newly created table from step 2 and Edit > Paste and Match Style.
  5. In Row 2 of an empty column on the right (I used Column F) enter a formula like this: =IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2)),A2,E2). Fill that formula down the column.

In that column you should now see the data in the format you want. You can copy-paste the data wherever you need it by typing command-c followed by Edit > Paste Formula Results.

SG

Sep 23, 2024 8:24 AM in response to ctnic

When you click the red warning triangle, what error message does it show?

Have you by any chance set your computer to a region that uses , as the decimal separator, i..e instead of 100.50 as in the US you would instead write 100,50? If so, use semicolons in the formula instead of commas, e.g.

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2));A2;E2)

BTW, I don't think it makes a difference but it appears that in Step 4 you used command-v or Edit > Paste instead of Edit > Paste and Match Style. That would explain why you have all those shaded cells that I don't have in my example.

EDIT. I think you can IGNORE THE ABOVE. Your column setup is different from what I had in the example. You are referring to the same cell E2 that the formula is in. Instead try:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2)),A2,D2)

SG

Add row above and insert data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.