You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to sum filtered results?

I have a spreadsheet from my HSA. I filtered the content to see just my payroll deductions that exist in one column then attempted to print it out thinking the data at the bottom of the window Sum would print as well. It didn't. Then I went about creating a row underneath to total the columns that are showing and the number is incorrect for the filtered data.

Reading in this forum I see that is as intended. Why would I bother filtering content to then run calculations on the unfiltered content?

Sorry for my tone but 1 hour of time wasted to get a sum of filtered content. Next time I'll just use a calculator and write it in.

I suppose it's counterintuitive because the Sum at the bottom of the window seems to understand my intention but there is not easy way to access that or print that out.

Is there a way to export just the filtered rows to another spreadsheet and then sum it there?

iMac 27″

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 9:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 12:01 AM

Just use the function SUBTOTAL - Apple Support

With SUBTOTAL you can control if all rows should be used or if hidden / filtered rows should be ignored.

Row 12 is defined as Footer, therefore it will be ignored for calculation and you can select the complete column for your formula.

All rows are shown, total = 1.000

Some rows are hidden / filtered, total = 500

Numbers will always use all data for the calculation, until you tell it to ignore specific data.

Hope this will help you with your task.

Regards Ralf

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2024 12:01 AM in response to johnnyjackhammer

Just use the function SUBTOTAL - Apple Support

With SUBTOTAL you can control if all rows should be used or if hidden / filtered rows should be ignored.

Row 12 is defined as Footer, therefore it will be ignored for calculation and you can select the complete column for your formula.

All rows are shown, total = 1.000

Some rows are hidden / filtered, total = 500

Numbers will always use all data for the calculation, until you tell it to ignore specific data.

Hope this will help you with your task.

Regards Ralf

How to sum filtered results?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.