You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

BootCamp Gone Wrong

Hi Everyone, not sure if anyone can help me but I had boot camp windows installed on my Mac(I have a MacBook Air 13 using the macOS 14.6 version) I use to be able to go back and fourth between the two where I would use windows for games and the macOS for everyday work use. However the other day I was wanting to expand the windows partition more but by doing that I had overwrite the MacOS partition and I cannot find it anywhere in the disk management on windows. I had tried to restart in macOS but it prompt up a screen saying MacOS volume was no where to be found, this caused me to look up tutorials on how to create a bootable usb drive for macOS. I was able to create a usb drive for MacOS and had used the option key bind to access startup manager where it shows macOS but once i had tried to startup in that it took me to the never ending loop of internet recovery. I'm worried that I never fully installed a compatible usb drive for macOS. I've tried all the recovery key binds and each time it would take me to the internet recovery, would go through the countdown then just shut down once the bar was completed. If anyone has any suggestions I would be deeply appreciative of it, I'm running out of ideas and truly don't have the money to take it in to be prepared.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 4:26 PM

1 reply

Sep 22, 2024 9:01 PM in response to Hsheilyn

It appears you have a T2 Intel Mac. You will not be able to boot using a USB drive unless you previously modified the security settings to allow it using the Startup Security Utility. Your only option now is to use Internet Recovery Mode to reinstall macOS.

If you are having issues with Internet Recovery Mode, then you may even need to perform a DFU firmware Restore followed by Internet Recovery Mode again.

Once booted into Internet Recovery Mode you will need to use Disk Utility to erase the whole physical internal SSD as GUID partition and APFS (top option). Within Disk Utility you will need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical SSD appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

If you still have issues with Internet Recovery Mode, then try it from another location in case your local network or ISP is causing a problem. Otherwise you may need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider assist you.

FYI, you cannot modify the partitions at all when using Bootcamp as it will break things. This is why I never recommend anyone creating any other partitions on any of their drives since people always realize one or more partitions are too small. Unfortunately if you need to run Windows on bare metal, then Bootcamp and a new partition is necessary so use extreme caution and keep frequent & regular backups of both operating systems. Plus, never ever use any Windows based tools to modify the partitions on a Mac since those tools do not understand Macs and macOS....they are only meant for dedicated Windows PCs.

BootCamp Gone Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.