You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Ancient Panasonic Palmcorder MiniDV Export to Mac / FCP - Bum Cord?

1. I am attempting to export 2004 footage from a Panasonic MiniDV 'palmcorder' camcorder (camcorder works great surprisingly). I could not find the original cord from MiniDV port to computer of course, so took days to find one compatible.
  2. I have tried connecting to 3 computers (my newish Mac laptop with a firewire/thunderbolt adapter), an old Mac desktop (<2015 OS Monterey) and an old Macbook (OS X 10.8.5). None are mounting the camera.
  3. Yes, I have checked that the camera is VCR mode, is on and yes, I have tried several variations of unplugging and turning/on/off combos.
  4. I intended to capture the footage in Final Cut Pro, and also ALAS, it doesn't seem to recognize the camera either. I don't know why it would if the camera won't mount, but you never know.
  5. I am not sure on next steps...my first inclination is that the cord is wonky. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 6:38 AM

13 replies

Sep 22, 2024 9:40 AM in response to NancyRainVideo

So you have FireWire to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and your Mac does not need Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, right?

When you get a connection in the System Information (the camcorder is not supposed "mount" on the Desktop anyway), and if you use Sonoma (I have not yet tested DV import in Sequoia), remember to do this:

If you can't use your camera or video output device after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.1 - Apple Support

Sep 22, 2024 11:35 AM in response to Matti Haveri

OK guys I think maybe I need to show you all a pic because it occurred to me that I am though I thought I knew how to connect these things 15 years ago, maybe I am missing a step. See here - the 4 pin mini DV from cam (silver cord) to the adapter to the new Mac. Looking at the graphic from Matti, this is not the same cord.

Thanks for clarifying the mount thing - I won't look for that anymore. My current laptop (which I am hoping to use all this one of course, but have 2 others as backup) runs Big Sur.

Ancient Panasonic Palmcorder MiniDV Export to Mac / FCP - Bum Cord?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.