You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

line break disappeared in last update

I updated both numbers and the OS so I am not sure which update caused this issue :

Numbers last update version 14.2 (7041.0.109),

Mac OS sequoia 15.0

In a table, I used line break (simple return) all the time within a cell by either pressing return, command+return or control+return (I can't recall which one of these as it was natural and I did it without thinking)

It did this :

with the hotkey highlighted :

Now after the update this hotkey is gone, and I couldn't find a new similar one.

The only line break option I have left is option+return which is different as it adds an extra spacing :

The numbers hotkey chart in the help section give these 2 entries that both are not working ... (they both just select the next cell, no formatting whatsoever) :

Insert a line break (soft return) Shift-Return

Insert a paragraph break Return

Looks like a bug, or maybe there is some secret other new hotkey I should know of ?

thanks for your help

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 11:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 5:46 AM

alright I just solved the issue by myself. :)

The problem comes from the last MacOS sequoia update (15.0)

there is a new keyboard shortcut "show contextual menu" in the settings set as on by default that overrides the numbers shortcut.

Once deselected everything works fine like before

5 replies

Sep 22, 2024 5:31 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

well I can copy/paste it but it will obviously be tedious very quickly but thanks for your help!

control+return is indeed the one that is not working anymore on my side (despite appearing fine in the shortcuts window), are you not experiencing the hotkey issue yourself?

option+return works just fine

I submitted a bug ticket to Apple in the meantime hopefully they'll have a look.

line break disappeared in last update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.