You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why can't I change my community forum handle?

I want to change my user name in this here forum. I created it a long time ago in a fit of frustration while dealing with a refurbished Macbook that turned out to be a total lemon. Now that I am among Apple's biggest fans, I tried to change my handle and discovered that it's not allowed (??). So apparently I will be branded as "ih8appl" for the rest of my life.

According to other posts that I've read, the only ways to change one's handle are either A) create a whole new Apple ID (a little much, in my opinion) or B) achieve Level 2 status, whatever that means.

So is this true? If so, why such an arbitrary rule? I can think of a dozen simple, logical reasons why someone would want/need to change their handle, so why force them to be branded one name for life? If this is not true, any guidance as to how I can request a user name change would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

iluvappl

iMac 27″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 4:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 6:41 PM

According to other posts that I've read, the only ways to change one's handle are either A) create a whole new Apple ID (a little much, in my opinion) or B) achieve Level 2 status, whatever that means.

So is this true?

Not really. Not sure where you saw that.

—Adding an Apple ID will only mess up your digital life as your devices lose track of each other.

—Reaching Level 2 only lets you use the Report button to notify the Mods of a name-change desire ref: Share what you know and get recognized - Apple Support). After 20+ years, I still have to ask the Mods if I want to change my username.

Katana-San has reporting privileges and has kindly taken the action you need on your behalf.

If so, why such an arbitrary rule?

Apple does not engage here on policy issues but I can share history I have observed over my long tenure here:

Years ago when username changes were open, "shapeshifters" nearly destroyed the forums by posting nonsense, rants, or personal attacks, then changing their names. We lost some very valuable contributors who were frustrated with the abuse. It did not stop until the "host-managed" name changes were introduced. Cured the problem 100%.

So, as in the broader world, a handful of people enjoying their right to be total self-possessed jerks cause the good, honest folks to suffer rules like this.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2024 6:41 PM in response to raysterlingNYC

So is this true?

Not really. Not sure where you saw that.

—Adding an Apple ID will only mess up your digital life as your devices lose track of each other.

—Reaching Level 2 only lets you use the Report button to notify the Mods of a name-change desire ref: Share what you know and get recognized - Apple Support). After 20+ years, I still have to ask the Mods if I want to change my username.

Katana-San has reporting privileges and has kindly taken the action you need on your behalf.

If so, why such an arbitrary rule?

Apple does not engage here on policy issues but I can share history I have observed over my long tenure here:

Years ago when username changes were open, "shapeshifters" nearly destroyed the forums by posting nonsense, rants, or personal attacks, then changing their names. We lost some very valuable contributors who were frustrated with the abuse. It did not stop until the "host-managed" name changes were introduced. Cured the problem 100%.

So, as in the broader world, a handful of people enjoying their right to be total self-possessed jerks cause the good, honest folks to suffer rules like this.

Why can't I change my community forum handle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.