You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Trouble with fonts in Pages

Since upgrading to Sonoma when I open an old document in Pages it doesn't recognize some fonts I installed before the upgrade. Our boss loves Architects Daughter for some reason and now when I open the drop down menu for fonts while in a Pages document the words that used to be in the Architects Daughter font show up as some generic font and the drop down menu still lists Architects Daughter but it has a red exclamation point with a circle around it next to the font.

I know how to reinstall the font I want but the drop down menu still has the old versions of Architects Daughter and I can't get rid of those. I've tried resetting fonts in the Font Book and that does nothing. Remove duplicates also does nothing to get rid of these old font placeholders. The reason it matters for us is whenever we open an old document we have to go through and find every instance of the use of Architects Daughter and replace it with the new version of Architects Daughter. I know it doesn't seem like much of a problem but it's driving a few of us in the office nuts. We've tried talking him out of Architects Daughter but to no avail. Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 12:40 PM

1 reply

Sep 22, 2024 5:16 AM in response to Ed Gardner

Pages requires that any font reference in an opened document have that font physically installed or it will attempt font substitution (likely Times New Roman). You cannot install Architects Daughter on iOS/iPadOS/iCloud and it will only resolve on the Mac where that font was originally installed.

If you want embedded fonts, then either you export the document as PDF from the Mac where this Architects Daughter font is installed, or you will need to use MS Word, and in its Preferences > Save panel, you would need to select Embed fonts in the file.

On macOS Sonoma, with its operating system on a read-only volume, you can only install fonts in your /Users/username/Library/Fonts folder.

Trouble with fonts in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.