You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

The Macbook doesn't boot macOS/BootCamp/Recovery after Windows is installed (BootCamp).

Hi! I have a MacBook 16 2019 on macOS 12.0.1. After I tried to install Windows trough bootcamp macbook stopped booting any OS and recovery mode (MacOS - inf. loop or apple logo loop, Windows - nothing, because Windows installer showed me error (yes, Windows isnt installed)). Can anyone help me with that problem? I tried to install macos trough option+control+r but nothing happened after 5-8 minutes timer and tried install macos from flash-drive - status bar under apple logo freezing after 50%

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 7:17 AM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2024 9:57 PM in response to psychea

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics rarely detect issues even when a hardware issue is confirmed through other means, but it never hurts to check anyway. Besides in this case it will at least tell us if this laptop can even boot something successfully.

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode?

You may need to try a DFU firmware Revive which resets the T2 security chip & system firmware. This requires access to another Mac running macOS 14.7+ to use Apple Configurator v2.17 (or you can use the Finder with a host Mac running Sequoia). If the "Revive" does not work and does not allow you to boot into Recovery Mode, then you will need to try a DFU firmware Restore followed by using Recovery Mode to reinstall macOS (the "Restore" destroys all data on the internal SSD). Keep in mind once you do the DFU firmware Restore (possibly even the Revive), you will not be able to boot from USB until you can boot into Recovery Mode to access the Startup Security Utility again.

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

There is a good chance this laptop has a hardware issue as well since I have seen a lot of reports of hardware issues with the Logic Board on this specific model laptop....much higher than any other model. I do not recommend spending any money on repairs if the laptop has a hardware issues.

Sep 21, 2024 7:21 AM in response to HWTech

Hi! Today I tried to fix my MB from Apple Configurator (from the MB Pro 2020 with i5). Well, the configurator detected my MacBook as "Apple Controller". I started the recovery process, but after 50% of the 4/4 stages, DFU mode switched to padlock on my MB. Sometimes I saw the Apple logo and the full status bar, but I couldn't open the boot menu (I think Apple Configurator formatted everything with the configurator). Now the MacBook is trying to recover itself through internet recovery (it's opening through the option button). I will tell you what happened after the internet recovery as soon as possible.

Sep 23, 2024 12:25 PM in response to psychea

Solved!

Find ethernet wire with good internet connection and open internet recovery (recovery crashes if ure using wi-fi connection no cap), after installation you can install macos from internet or (if ur mac isnt fully wiped (because on full wiped mac you cant select flash drive (blocked bootloader))(trough apple configurator for example)) from flash drive

The Macbook doesn't boot macOS/BootCamp/Recovery after Windows is installed (BootCamp).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.