You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Saving in DOC format, not DOCX.

Well, I was heretofore unaware that the DOC and DOCX formats are different. But I am dealing with a... person... who wants all the submitted documents to be in the former, DOC. His language was quite rude and frankly I will not only not be working with him again but also sending word around. In the meanwhile, however, I need to ask something to cover my derriere. Specifically, can you export documents in the actual Word DOC format as opposed to DOCX?

I expect to advise the concerned individual that the DOC format has been phased out and it is not reasonable to expect a person to download a dodgy app to convert files back and forth.

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 3:16 AM

1 reply

Sep 20, 2024 5:48 AM in response to DeanSad

Apple removed the ability in Pages several years ago to export to .doc format. The current version (16.89.1) version of MS Word can alternatively save in that Word 1997 - 2004 .doc format, so can the current version of the free Bean application, and also, past and current versions of the free LibreOffice Suite. The current version of LibreOffice requires macOS Catalina or later.

You will need to export the Pages document as Word .docx format and then open it in any of the preceding word-processing applications and save it again as Word 1997 - 2004 .doc format.

Or you can tell the person demanding .doc to go pound sand and send them a Word .docx and let them deal with it.

Saving in DOC format, not DOCX.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.