You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Broken: Universal Control Keyboard Mouse Sharing OS Sequoia 15.0

After MacOS Sequoia 15.0 was installed Sept 18, 2024 (on both my MBP 2021 14in and MM 2018), the linking of keyboard and mouse between MBP and MM is now broken (universal control). If I can get it to work for 1 minute, it then breaks, despite the display icon showing that such sharing is active on both devices. Yes, I have restarted Bluetooth, WiFi, and both devices too.

The "universal control" to share the keyboard and mouse seems broken and buggy, even if it works for a minute, then breaks.

Yes, the keyboard and mouse are official Apple products too.

I use this feature all the time, and hope there will be a bug fix very soon.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 8:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 1:44 PM

as of 10/4/2024, I have fully updated to Sequoia 15.0.1 on both the MM and the MBP. This problem still persists, with my Apple Keyboard and Apple mouse not sharing across both machines, after perhaps only 1-2 minutes of appearing to work.

Once the linkage breaks, it then becomes a game of using the MBP trackpad to try to use the pointer on the MPB, which may allow the pointer on the MM to reappear and try to manipulate with the mouse. However, this does not work after a few moves, and things get "locked up".

I then have to turn off the Link Keyboard and Mouse sharing, in hopes that each machine can then work with its own track pad or mouse.

The linked and shared keyboard and mouse across my nearby Apple computers needs to work!

Still broken,

GW

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2024 1:44 PM in response to greg2u

as of 10/4/2024, I have fully updated to Sequoia 15.0.1 on both the MM and the MBP. This problem still persists, with my Apple Keyboard and Apple mouse not sharing across both machines, after perhaps only 1-2 minutes of appearing to work.

Once the linkage breaks, it then becomes a game of using the MBP trackpad to try to use the pointer on the MPB, which may allow the pointer on the MM to reappear and try to manipulate with the mouse. However, this does not work after a few moves, and things get "locked up".

I then have to turn off the Link Keyboard and Mouse sharing, in hopes that each machine can then work with its own track pad or mouse.

The linked and shared keyboard and mouse across my nearby Apple computers needs to work!

Still broken,

GW

Oct 8, 2024 7:03 AM in response to greg2u

Just updated today and am having the same issues on Sequoia and iPad os 18. I use Mac mini M1 and M4 iPad Pro. It will share the keyboard and trackpad from MM for a minute or so then disconnect then randomly reconnect. I've tried turning off the share function, restarting, re-enabling, turning off and on wifi and bluetooth and nothing fixes it. The weird thing is that the MM has no problem screen mirroring or extending to my iPad so THEY SEE EACH OTHER. Something is broken with share keyboard/mouse/trackpad specific function. My iPad is my primary work device that I would love to be able to share with my MM. Like Kasezilla said "it's killing my workflow". APPLE PLEASE FIX!

Oct 2, 2024 7:55 AM in response to kboswe1

For me, it also works for a few minutes, but locks up and/or disconnects often. Sometimes you can toggle wifi and/or universal control on both Macs or use Activity Manager to Force Quit the Universal Control process and it will work for another minute or two.

I consider it unusable as it stands today.

Broken: Universal Control Keyboard Mouse Sharing OS Sequoia 15.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.