You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac OS Sequoia not recognizing USB Flash Drives

I just updated my iMac M1 to run Sequoia and now my USB flash drives are not recognized. My external hard drives are recognized as are my external SSD's. I have seen online that I am not the only one with this issue, but nowhere have I found a fix. Is this something that can be fixed or do I have to wait for a update?

iMac 24″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 8:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2024 3:13 PM

This is driving me nuts. After initially updating to Sequoia yesterday on my M2 Macbook Pro, my USB Dongle device initially mounted fine, automatically. Today it won't mount automatically.

It's recognized, in that I can see the device in Disk Utility. However, the button to mount in Disk Utility does not work.

I can only seem to mount the device through Terminal by performing the following steps:

1) Call up the disk utility list

diskutil list

2) Find the DriveIdentifier for the USB device in the list

3) Create a Volume to mount the device:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/YourVolumeName

4)Mount the device to this volume

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/DriveIdentifier /Volumes/YourVolumeName.

It's a USB2.0 device plugged into an apple USB-C multiport adaptor, the drive is FAT32 formatted. Allow Accessories to connect is set to Always. Finder settings are on to show External Disks in Locations on the sidebar.

And the kicker: This same USB device mounts automatically w/o issue on my M1 Mac Studio updated to Sequoia the same day! What gives Apple? Please address this issue ASAP. We should not have to run terminal commands to mount USB drives. This is not a viable work around for users who do not have admin permissions. Thank you.

75 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2024 3:13 PM in response to MJ

This is driving me nuts. After initially updating to Sequoia yesterday on my M2 Macbook Pro, my USB Dongle device initially mounted fine, automatically. Today it won't mount automatically.

It's recognized, in that I can see the device in Disk Utility. However, the button to mount in Disk Utility does not work.

I can only seem to mount the device through Terminal by performing the following steps:

1) Call up the disk utility list

diskutil list

2) Find the DriveIdentifier for the USB device in the list

3) Create a Volume to mount the device:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/YourVolumeName

4)Mount the device to this volume

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/DriveIdentifier /Volumes/YourVolumeName.

It's a USB2.0 device plugged into an apple USB-C multiport adaptor, the drive is FAT32 formatted. Allow Accessories to connect is set to Always. Finder settings are on to show External Disks in Locations on the sidebar.

And the kicker: This same USB device mounts automatically w/o issue on my M1 Mac Studio updated to Sequoia the same day! What gives Apple? Please address this issue ASAP. We should not have to run terminal commands to mount USB drives. This is not a viable work around for users who do not have admin permissions. Thank you.

Sep 25, 2024 11:37 AM in response to Lilisbuddy

Are they actually not recognized, not mounted, or not showing on the desktop? These are three different things, and it would help if that could be clarified.

1) Not recognized would imply that they do not show at all in Disk Utility. Is that what is happening?

2) On another level, they could be recognized, but not mount - they would appear in Disk Utility, but show up as "not mounted" - in which case you might try clicking on "Mount" and see if they become available.

3) The third possibility is that they do mount but simply do not show on your desktop - that is a mere Finder setting. Make sure that all the boxes are checked in Finder->Settings->General, under "Show these items on Desktop".

So, to be sure, are we talking of case 1, 2, or 3?

Sep 29, 2024 8:28 AM in response to Lilisbuddy

Anyone running into this issue, please open the System Information app by:

• Holding the Option Key
  • Clicking the Apple logo on the top left
  • Click "System Information"
    • If your issue is with USB devices and card readers, click USB and report if the USB device in question shows up.
    • If your issue is with the built in SD card reader, click Card reader.
  • Screenshots of this page will be helpful.

Please also tell me the following:

• What device you are trying to plug in, model and brand
  • How the drive is formatted (NFTS, exFAT, FAT, Mac OS, etc)
  • How it's plugged in (via a simple USB-C adapter, or USB-C Hub)
    • The brand and model of the adapter or hub
  • Have you done a clean install of Mac OS Sequoia, or an upgrade over Sonoma.

If you have issues, try a reboot and report if that fixes the problem.

• I have personally witnessed Disk Utility stop working, if a previous formatting operation failed. Only a reboot would make disk utility work again.

Try booting into recovery and see if the device shows in DiskUtility

• These Steps are for Apple Silicon (M1-M3)
    • Shut down your Mac
    • Hold power button until you see Startup Options
    • Enter your password
    • Open Disk Utility
    • Report if your device shows in recovery mode.

Sep 27, 2024 11:37 PM in response to Lilisbuddy

Hello people of the world,

I was able to connect external SD card to my M1 mac using a following workaround.

diskutil list

This allowed me to see IDENTIFIER of the drive

diskutil mountDisk /dev/diskX

Where X diskX is value found in terminal - IDENTIFIER

That mounted a drive and I was able to drag n drop.

Be well, I found this on reddit, user u/wowza42 mentions this 4! months ago.

I hope iCloud security team has a different management :D

Oct 6, 2024 2:44 PM in response to Lilisbuddy

I have the same problem with SATA disks that are connected to the Mac via a USB to SATA adapter.

When I turn on the adapter after having connected the SATA disk, the disk powers up.

I then see what seems to be the confirmation dialogue that would ask me if I want to allow this device to connect.

However, this window disappears right away before I can even read its contents.

The disk is not available: it does not appear in Disk Utility and also is not listed in the output of the command line input "diskutil list“.

I have to go to the security settings in System Preferences and change the setting to always allow devices to connect.

Then, the disk appears.

Afterwards, I can switch the setting back to ask before allowing new devices to connect.

This seems to be a bug in macOS Sequoia.

Reported to Apple in FB15409558

Oct 11, 2024 11:53 AM in response to MJ

MJ wrote:

dwiser12u wrote:

I had to go through Apple Support. They say they don't have any history of this issue with updating to Sequoia.

That's bogus. Either Apple is lying or they maintain very crummy records.

Or very few people actually made official requests for support and asked for their support request to be escalated if the first line techs are unable to fix the problem. I think you over estimate how many people actually do this. I think many people just post on the forums thinking that will get Apple's attention.....it won't since Apple is not here on these forums.

Oct 12, 2024 11:49 AM in response to Lilisbuddy

HI all - I found a solution that works for me but it's not ideal and does not solve the mystery.  I am on an M1 Mac airbook so it doesn't just happen with M2s.  I took all of the external thumb drives that were causing me a problem as soon as I updated to Sequoia… and I brought them to a second computer and took off everything that was on them...  That other computer was another M1 Mac airbook with an earlier operating system.  I reformatted the thumb drives and amazingly still no joy…. They would not mount on my desktop even though they show up perfectly under disk utility.. But grayed out so that they cannot be mounted.  I then took those same blank thumb drives and using disk utility I reformatted them as fat32 (did not try other formats because this is the formatting I wanted).  They then all mounted instantly as soon as they were formatted and now I have no trouble with any of them.  This is the same formatting I tried on a different computer but it just won't recognize them unless they are reformatted on the computer with the issue.   But all other computers can see then no issue. Not sure what anyone can do if they don't have a second computer to make their unreadable external drive content safe. I am set for now but mystery not solved.

Oct 15, 2024 5:38 AM in response to Lilisbuddy

Same here. I have a 4TB M2 drive mounted in an Acasis enclosure and then through a Kensington SD5700T Hub.

This worked perfectly fine without fail until update to Sequoia.

All hub ports and other connected hardware show in USB hardware report. The 4TB drive does not mount.

If I unplug the drive to hub or even the hub to Mac connection it appears as soon as they are connected.

Has anyone rolled back to Sonoma and its fixed the issue?

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac OS Sequoia not recognizing USB Flash Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.