You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I get permission on my own Mac Studio to store and transfer files as I want them?

I bought a new M2 Mac Studio running Ventura last week and having trouble adapting to the new settings.I want to transfer some files from my Imac to the HD on the Studio but it won't allow it because "you don't have permission". When I check with "Get info" the system has read and write enabled but the wheel and everyone options are 'read only'.

This seems to mean that I can't transfer files to the HD ( 994.66gb free ).

When I try to change the permissions it is not allowed.

How do I get permission on my own computer to store and transfer files as I want them?

No one else uses it but me.

regards

simon

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 7:43 AM

11 replies

Sep 21, 2024 7:08 AM in response to 77 Tern Way

To help you understand what's going on, since the advent of Big Sur, one of the changes to macOS security is that you can no longer create a folder or file at the top level (aka root) of Macintosh HD. Having an admin account makes no difference, the root level is also secured against admin accounts.

All user created folders & files must be put somewhere inside your user folder (aka home directory ... as in /Users/<yourusername>). Alternatively, you could, as @etresoft posted, create an additional Volume, which you could treat as if it were a separate disk drive including creating folders/files at its top level (root level).

Sep 21, 2024 4:35 AM in response to Niel

Niel

Pardon my ignorance but, I am unable follow your suggestion. The way I have always done it in the past is to open the HD window, click on the file to open it from there or, when moving a file to the HD, open it then drag and drop it onto the HD.

That seems to work with ext HD's but not with the int HD.

When I try to change the permissions under 'get info' in Finder it tells me I am not authorised to do it.

regards

simon

Pardon late reply other glitches prevented me from signing in- its been that kind of month so far.

Sep 21, 2024 6:33 AM in response to 77 Tern Way

If you want an experience that is closer to what you were used to before, you can try this:

1) Launch Disk Utility.

2) Go to the toolbar and click the "+" button above "Volumes"

3) This will create a new volume on your hard drive. You can completely organize it the way you want - no restrictions.

Caveats:

Just make sure that this volume is getting backed up. Since it isn't in your home directory, it might be excluded by default in some cases.

If you want to use iCloud, you will still have to use folders in your home directory.

Your Desktop will still be on your home directory.

Various apps will still store there data in various folders in your home directory.

Remember that you've done this. You don't want to accidentally delete this new volume one day without having a backup.

How do I get permission on my own Mac Studio to store and transfer files as I want them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.