You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Deleting new messages on Apple Watch deletes all the message on iPhone

Prior to IOS 18, when I deleted messages on my Apple Watch Series 7, they were deleted only there. Now with IOS 18, the entire thread of messages gets deleted on my iPhone as well. Is there a fix or setting so it won’t delete from my iPhone as well. I have to keep recovering the messages from deleted messages. Thank you.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 5:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2024 5:47 PM

It’s called OUR choice!!! That’s what some of us would like to do is delete messages from our watch ONLY, something we’ve been doing for years until the update!!! ITS not for you to understand why we do,but why did they change it? I delete messages off my watch because I want too! It works for me to have the original text on my phone and not on my watch.. That’s just how I like it and it’s obvious others want that too!!!

85 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2024 5:47 PM in response to sventek_

It’s called OUR choice!!! That’s what some of us would like to do is delete messages from our watch ONLY, something we’ve been doing for years until the update!!! ITS not for you to understand why we do,but why did they change it? I delete messages off my watch because I want too! It works for me to have the original text on my phone and not on my watch.. That’s just how I like it and it’s obvious others want that too!!!

Sep 27, 2024 5:31 AM in response to JayRob216

I have the same issue but i don’t know of it’s ios 18 or if it has to do with the watches ios 11. Super frustrating though having to go back to recover messages on iphone.

Also, there definitely needs to be an option on the watch to delete/clear multiple messages/ conversations at once. Going one by one is super frustrating, especially when you have a bunch or forget to delete/clear one day and come back next day to 50 different convos. Help us out Apple!

Sep 22, 2024 7:27 PM in response to balleyman

This new update is cool but it messed something up , before I could delete messages from my watch which I don’t like messages staying on there just on my 15 pro max. Now while deleting from the watch it deletes from the phone as well then I have to recover the messages. Apple needs to do another update to fix this issue because I’m definitely not liking

Sep 27, 2024 10:27 AM in response to sharonfromgarland

Yea when I chatted with a rep last week they didn’t know why and also a senior rep said it was because I had turned on my iCloud messages and turned off which is not true because my sons is off and his is doing the same thing. I also asked a few others that have both the watch and said theirs is deleting off the phone too! They claim it wasn’t on the last update but what a coincidence it didn’t happen until then! My husband hasn’t updated either and his isn’t doing it!

Sep 28, 2024 12:11 PM in response to balleyman

I am having the same problem! I only like have a few text threads on my watch not everything from my phone. This is such an annoying thing. We need an option to only delete from one. Cause when you recover them on your phone they appear back on your watch! 😤😤

Our Apple Watch battery is already junk, so I try to keep as much off of it as possible. DO BETTER APPLE. FIX THE PROBLEM!

Sep 28, 2024 1:38 PM in response to balleyman

Well, my watch battery is draining faster after the update ! I decided to see what I could delete on the Apple Watch. Much to my surprise , I discovered that all my deleted voicemails on my iPhone were on my watch. That hiccup took

a bit of digging on my part as my iPhone did not display my deleted voicemails. I have never voiced my dislike on an update before, but Apple really messed up with this update. I hope they fix the bugs promptly !!!!

Oct 1, 2024 11:55 AM in response to balleyman

Been on phone with apple for about an hour. Sounds like they think it has always been synced up. But I have never had full threads of messages on my watch. I've always in 8 years been able to delete a message from my watch and it would stay on my phone. I do not need all of my texts on my 32gb watch. Its messy, and most times I keep docs and photos in messages on my phone. I have a 13 Pro Max, and honestly didn't have an issue...prior to updating my watch to ios 11. And I am currently running ios 18 on my phone. DO NOT UPGRADE...this is not good.

Sep 27, 2024 12:54 PM in response to Beckster8806

I finally got a tech support person who acknowledged it was due to the last update. I was told that Apple was aware of the”bug” and would release a new update to resolve the issue. We can hope it is resolved and our messages on our iPhones are recovered. Now I worry that all those messages that I deleted on my Apple Watch will be restored on that device as well.

Sep 19, 2024 5:46 AM in response to sventek_

i have a lot of message groups with lots of messages and photos and videos and such. I delete them from my watch (now a Series 7) so they don’t use memory. I’ve had instances in the past where I couldn’t do a watch OS update because of lack of available memory. So I started deleting messages on my watch after I read them. They never got deleted only my IPhone (now a 13 Pro) until now after upgrade to IOS 18. Is there a way or setting or such that will stop this deleting in both places? Thank you for your help.

Deleting new messages on Apple Watch deletes all the message on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.