You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Run-Time Error 53: File Not Found LinkCreation.dotm -- NOTHING in the proper folder to delete

I have dealt with this issue over the years and am familiar with the steps to deleting the LinkCreation.dotm file when the Run-Time Error 53 message pops up. I have followed the tried and true steps upon downloading Sequoia 15.0. But this time, there is no file to delete when I get to the file: Go/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word(or Excel or Powerpoint).

The Word, Excel, and Powerpoint Files found above are empty. So there is no clear way for me to delete the file.

I tried deleting the "Normal.dotm" and

"NormalEmail.dotm" files found at Go/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Templates

But that did not work.

Can you please let me know what I'm supposed to do if the file that is usually deleted to end this run-time error is not in the folder?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 3:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 7:15 AM

I had the same problem and was able to solve it!

The files that you need to delete are now under: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup

It was there that I found the files that I normally deleted under previous operating systems.

16 replies

Oct 3, 2024 3:40 PM in response to A.J. Hamler

Ok Im not sure if it has something to do with the model of the MacBook, but I think this will help.

Finder/ Go/ scroll down and click on Computer ( the little icon with the shape of a laptop)/ Macintosh HD / Library/ Application Support / Microsoft/ office 365 / User Content/ Startup/ you will find the 3 folders with Word, Excell and Power Point.. :) Good Luck

Oct 20, 2024 7:45 AM in response to Camador_1

thank you!! You're correct. This pathway lead me to the files. I couldn't find them using /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup. I have Sequoia iOS and the correct pathway is Finder/ Go/ Computer / Macintosh HD / Library/ Application Support / Microsoft/ Office 365 / User Content/ Startup/

The Word and PowerPoint files are there to delete: saveaspdf and linkcreation.dotm

Sep 30, 2024 4:09 PM in response to A.J. Hamler

I just answered this but I don't see it yet. Maybe being moderated first? Ugh. Retyping.

From Finder, Select Go, hold option down, then click Library. *THIS is the wrong folder*. It's what you used to do before. This is a folder that goes Hard Drive --> users --> your user name --> Library. This is NOT the right folder.

Go backwards to the Library folder that's in the same hard drive folder as "users" and then follow the above path.

Sep 28, 2024 2:23 PM in response to abramovs

I've been fixing this error for years the same way each time, but like the OP I can't find the LinkCreation.dotm file to delete. I followed your link path (/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup), but hit a dead end on the folder after "Microsoft." I don't have Office365, but Word for Mac 2021. After the "Microsoft" step in your path, I have "Office." There is no "User Content.localized/Startup" there.

A Spotlight search doesn't find the LinkCreation.dotm anywhere on my Mac.

This is so frustrating!

TIA for any help you can offer.

A.J.

Sep 30, 2024 4:07 PM in response to A.J. Hamler

From your main Finder toolbar, select Go --> hold down option and Library appears. That's the folder I used to follow. It's tucked in a library folder in Hard Drive --> Users --> your username --> Library.

Now, when you do that, it's the wrong location. You need to go backwards: Hard Drive --> Library then follow the path above. /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup

You'll see Powerpoint and Word there. Delete the files within those folders.

Sep 30, 2024 5:39 PM in response to Sunset_Island

>>From Finder, Select Go, hold option down, then click Library. *THIS is the wrong folder*. It's what you used to do before. This is a folder that goes Hard Drive --> users --> your user name --> Library. This is NOT the right folder.

Go backwards to the Library folder that's in the same hard drive folder as "users" and then follow the above path. <<

The original path from the OP is "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup"

I did what you said with the holding Option and going to Library, then going backward to the Library folder in "Users," and then following the earlier path. This doesn't work for me. After going to the folder "Microsoft," I hit a dead end. I don't have Office 365, and the next folder in the path is simply "Office." There is no "User Content.localized" folder. A spotlight search can't find a folder called "User Content.localized," and it also can't find the "LinkCreation.dotm" anywhere.

A.J.

Run-Time Error 53: File Not Found LinkCreation.dotm -- NOTHING in the proper folder to delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.