You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

'Command & + (plus)' no longer increases the size of high lighted text

Why 'shift command & + (plus)' to increase highlighted text size, when 'command & + (plus)' used to increase highlighted text size?

'command & - (minus)' still reduces highlighted text size.

This problem turned up in the last couple of days.

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 

13.7 (22H123)

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 2:43 PM

3 replies

Sep 20, 2024 11:37 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I’ve done many safe starts, option/command/p/r key restarts, and disk utility.

This is what I did today. 

TextEdit: Highlighted text does not increase using "command and +" keys. But, while pressing the + key while holding down the command key, it does show the size being increased. Also, if I continue to type, the new text is the size that was shown. 

Using the "shift and command" keys, and repeatedly hitting the + key, increases the size of the text each time.

And as before, using the "command and -" keys, decreases the size of the highlighted text. 

Mail: Same thing as with TextEdit.

Notes: Same thing as with TextEdit.

Safe Start with same user: 

TextEdit: Problem remains.

Mail: Problem remains.

Notes: Problem remains.

Other User and normal start 

TextEdit: All good. Both command and + keys increase the size text. And so do the shift command and + keys.

The command and - keys continue to decrease the size of highlighted text. 

Mail: All good. Same as TextEdit. 

Notes: All good. Same as TextEdit. 

NOTE:

My Mac Book Pro with 13.7, also has the same problem with TextEdit, and maybe with Mail. I didn’t try notes. I did do a few safe starts, option/command/p/r key restarts.

I did add a new user on the laptop, but I don’t believe I tried to increase text. Another oddity showed up with TextEdit, and by that time I packed it in with any more testing. 

Also I have another desktop with the last version of Monterey. Absolutely no problems with TextEdit  when it came to increasing text size with command and +. 

This problem on both the desktop and laptop, has been very recent. 

Could have been after 13.7, or perhaps the XProtectPlistConfigData install. 

'Command & + (plus)' no longer increases the size of high lighted text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.