You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

transferring photos from my old (20+ yrs) computer to the one I bought a year this year, no I'm not by any chance an expert just a guy who likes to do things well

The computers sit side by side on my desk and could be opposite sides of the planet because they cannot talk to each other which seems ridiculous to me, a 70+ year old former mechanical services engineer.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 3:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 7:47 AM

Welcome!

But I don't have any sockets that accept my external drives and the new computer appears to not want to connect to them!

Without knowing the exact Mac models and years, we have to guess, but I suspect your old computer has USB-A ports and your new one has USB-C.

Adapter are readily available to make an external drive with USB-A work with a new computer with USB-C. Like this:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

or this:

OWC USB-A to USB-C (USB 3) Adapter Cable

Should work fine.

AJ

77-year old retired ballistics systems engineer. 😉

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2024 7:47 AM in response to Ancientappleuser

Welcome!

But I don't have any sockets that accept my external drives and the new computer appears to not want to connect to them!

Without knowing the exact Mac models and years, we have to guess, but I suspect your old computer has USB-A ports and your new one has USB-C.

Adapter are readily available to make an external drive with USB-A work with a new computer with USB-C. Like this:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

or this:

OWC USB-A to USB-C (USB 3) Adapter Cable

Should work fine.

AJ

77-year old retired ballistics systems engineer. 😉

Sep 18, 2024 8:00 AM in response to Ancientappleuser

(Belated post here, had too many screens open & system froze.)

Your old mac probably has some kind of later USB variant ports

that use some type of USB but maybe not Thunderbolt. Likely

might have early Power Delivery cable. Co it might charge and

power products attached through correct cable and ports.

By correctly identifying the old computer build model and sales

year that could be very helpful. Then you could use OWC mac

sales pages online to match the products with specs and images.

..see following for more extensive but maybe still lacking details..

USB compatibility | CMD

https://www.cmd-ltd.com/advice-centre/usb-chargers-and-power-modules/usb-and-power-module-product-help/usb-compatibility/

[see their charts for comparison compatibility between port types + cable versions]

In most modern technology devices, there will be some form of USB connection

available to connect equipment. Despite supposedly being universal, there are

different variations of USB types and versions; including what connectors and

cables each can use.

Identifying Your USB Connector and Cable Types | A Full Guide

(from european site)

transferring photos from my old (20+ yrs) computer to the one I bought a year this year, no I'm not by any chance an expert just a guy who likes to do things well

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.