You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Final Cut Pro 10.6.5 in Sequoia?

I am using Final Cut Pro 10.8.1 on Sonoma but still keep a copy of 10.6.5 because of some projects where I and my daughter both work, because her mac cannot be upgraded past Big Sur.

I am considering upgrading my mac to Sequoia.

I would appreciate if someone can test to see if 10.6.5 still runs in Sequoia.

TIA

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 1:48 AM

9 replies

Sep 18, 2024 7:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm sure you are aware of several workarounds.

Download he latest Sonoma installer.

Update your Mac to Sequoia, create a volume on it and install Sonoma along with FCP 10.6.5

Alternatively get an empty USB drive and install Sonoma on that so that you can boot into it whenever you need to use the old FCP . . . a normal USB 3.0 HDD should be more than adequate.

Sep 18, 2024 10:21 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

I'm sure you are aware of several workarounds.

Download he latest Sonoma installer.

Update your Mac to Sequoia, create a volume on it and install Sonoma along with FCP 10.6.5

Alternatively get an empty USB drive and install Sonoma on that so that you can boot into it whenever you need to use the old FCP . . . a normal USB 3.0 HDD should be more than adequate.

Thank you, Ian.

I do have an external drive that already has Sonoma on it, so that is a possibility, although booting from an external drive (even though it is an SSD!) is extremely slow on this mac.

I may use this if I decide to upgrade.

I might do dual booting from the internal, but there is not a lot of free space.

For the time being, I think I will put off upgrading to Sequoia, as this is an Intel Mac.

I am planning to get a new Mac in a few months time and enjoy the new features, and will probably just keep the present one in Sonoma.

This is a first for me, though. I tend to upgrade pretty much as soon as possible, when a new OS comes around.

Final Cut Pro 10.6.5 in Sequoia?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.