You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers, Pages and Keynote files do not use the app icon

Just noticed that Numbers, Pages and Keynote files all use a plain icon (looks almost like a TextEdit icon) and not the respective app icons. I'd like to change these defaults so that they use the respective app icon.

I can change the icon for an individual file by simply copying and pasting the app icon from the Get Info screen, but cannot see a way to change it globally.

I'm running Seqouia on a 2023 MacBook Pro M3 Pro.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 2:43 PM

5 replies

Sep 18, 2024 9:10 AM in response to Camelot

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it with Numbers, but it did not make a difference. Odd thing is - Get Info shows the correct icon, but in the Finder itself, it's a generic icon. See the screenshots.

I simply dragged the Numbers app to the trash and then reinstalled from the App Store. Not sure that is the right way to do it. Maybe there is a way to rebuild the cache ?

Thanks.

Fred

Sep 17, 2024 2:53 PM in response to effaypee

Try deleting and reinstalling the respective applications.

During the application installation, the OS reads the 'type' of documents the app supports and adds the icon to its cache. Sounds like this cache has lost track of these files, hence the blank icon.

Reinstalling the app should re-populate the file type cache and reset the icons. Hopefully ;)

Numbers, Pages and Keynote files do not use the app icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.