You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Get rid of macOS Install Data in a sealed system volume.

Many people found this folder, of somewhat mysterious origin but often occupying ~ 10 GB or more storage, in the sealed system volume. As of early 2024, it was said it was not needed, but had no advice about how to get rid of it.

How do i remove macOS Install data - Apple Community

I can't comment on other OS versions, but in Ventura 13.6.9, that locked folder could not be removed as a single item, but its storage-occupying contents could be moved to Trash, leaving only the original folder, with a 0 byte "Locked files" folder inside.

• Essentially gone, declaring victory and moving on...

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 4:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 9:29 PM

My guess is we're being messed with.:)

6 replies

Sep 17, 2024 6:47 PM in response to BDAqua

Covered in what? lol!!

You may be right, although no one had previously made the suggestion... or given instructions.

Even if they had, I prefer my simpler, safer method. Don't mess with reboot SIP, security, etc. re-boot, Eh? Of course it still leave the 0-byte folder. (Zero-byte... Can that be right, or is Finder messing with us? Again)

Get rid of macOS Install Data in a sealed system volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.