You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Using Studio display with my Mac Studio and a PC

I have a Mac Studio M1 Max with 32Gb and connect it to a Studio Display:

Apple M1 Max:

Chipset Model: Apple M1 Max

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

Total Number of Cores: 24

Vendor: Apple (0x106b)

Metal Support: Metal 3

Displays:

Studio Display:

Display Type: Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120x2880 Retina

Display Serial Number: VQ100724RM

Display Firmware Version: Version 17.0 (Build 21A329)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

LS28AG700N:

Resolution: 6016 x 3384

UI Looks like: 3008 x 1692 @ 60.00Hz

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

I also have an Acer laptop with Thundebolt 4 which I have to use for my work, as well as a LG 27 inch monitor. As I work in the newspaper industry I need both screens (also useful for my photography hobby with Lightroom). When using the Acer I manually switch to HDMI 2 input (which is not a problem) on the LG screen. however in order to use the Studio Display I have to change the cable at the back of the screen. Being aware that constant plugging and unplugging is likely to lead to port failure (and cannot be repaired, necessitating a new Studio Display) I have attached an extension lead, and manually switch cables. To avoid this I would like to buy a simple USB-C switch, however there do not appear to be any on the market. I am not bothered about using the same keyboard and mouse with both computers, just looking for an easy way to switch the signals going to the Studio Display and which will keep the same screen performance. Any ideas gratefully received.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 4:03 AM

There are no replies.

Using Studio display with my Mac Studio and a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.