You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Use Numbers - or tables in Pages - for large blocks of text?

Hello folks - can you help?

I write brief reviews of movies in rows in Numbers. Title, Genre, Description etc...

The description can be long - a hundred words or so.

It occurs to me that Numbers might not be the best way to store this info. Should I use Tables within Pages instead? Would it save data? And processing time? Or are tables pretty much the same as spreadsheets?

Any thoughts welcome - Tim

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 11:11 PM

4 replies

Sep 17, 2024 6:55 AM in response to TJNJenkins

I haven't tested them extensively but I think tables in Pages with largish blocks of text would behave similarly to tables in Numbers.

As you've discovered, spreadsheets aren't optimized for entering large chunks of text. They're best for crunching and presenting data.

Have you considered using an app that is designed for entering text and then use tags to add the metadata (title, genre, description)? You can do sophisticated things with the built-in Apple Notes.

If you don't like tags, then you could consider finding a simple database program in the Mac App Store. Or if you like to tinker then you could try something like Obsidian.

SG

Sep 17, 2024 12:38 PM in response to TJNJenkins

If there is a better app for you use than Numbers or Pages then use that instead. But if you are wanting to do it in either Numbers or Pages then here are some thoughts:

It appears to me that tables in Pages are the same as tables in Numbers but Pages does not seem to have all the features for tables that Numbers has. I have not used Pages in years but one thing I am not finding is filters. You might want those.

One advantage of Pages may be the way it lays out the page for you. It is what-you-see-is-what-you-get (or at least it appears to be that way). When you are working on a table in Numbers, it is not bounded by the size of the page (though you could turn on rulers and manually size it correctly). When you go to print your table are you given the choice of fitting to a page width.

Personally, if I was creating a table and there was little to no other text other than in the table, I'd use Numbers rather than Pages.

Use Numbers - or tables in Pages - for large blocks of text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.