You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What is the function of Replicatord in macOS Sequoia 15?

I am receiving messages regarding a process or app, "replicatord". What is this in macOS Sequoia 15?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 4:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 6:32 AM

This is happening to me as well since yesterday when I just installed Sequoia 15 and it's coming from Norton 360

42 replies

Sep 20, 2024 12:26 PM in response to SONAR3

SONAR3 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but why would I not need/use NORTON AV on my. iMac? i.e. email scanning and download scanning for virus etc

Those types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve since they interfere with the normal operation of macOS. If you follow the tips in the following article (read through all the links within the article as well), then you greatly minimize the chances of any problems:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

macOS has great built-in security especially when the user does their part to minimize chances of letting something onto their system. Even for Windows users I don't recommend using any third party AV software since MS already has it built-in. Many of the AV software vendors are now worse than any real threat you are likely to encounter if you practice those safe computing practices. Many AV vendors (and others offering consumer level security offerings & VPNs) are preying on your fears to sell you a false since of security while selling your personal information to make even more money. And some of those apps have their own vulnerabilities which make your system more susceptible to being compromised (funny how some of those security offerings make you more vulnerable).

Sep 24, 2024 10:18 AM in response to _Sascha_

_Sascha_ wrote:

nowhere in this topic or somewhere else (Norton/Reddit) are clear information and references about it. It's still based on hearsay.

There is also a CAReplicatorLayer. I could have used that in my new app if I had known about it. Not gonna rewrite it now. But still, that's an old API. Doesn't make sense that it would show up only recently. That is, unless Apple extended this feature to replicate Core Animation layers across the network to other devices, which is pretty much what iPhone Mirroring is. But still, just hearsay.

And even if it is iPhone Mirroring, I would like to know, why does it need to communicate and work, in a country where it is disabled?! (EU)

That's easier to answer. Apple builds the operating system the same way for all users. There is no language-specific version. There is no country-specific version. It's all the same. I think it was last year or the year before that people were making these exact same complaints regarding Apple's new "classroom" frameworks. "I'm not a student! Why is this running????"

If Apple can work out a deal with the EU, then they can just flip a switch back at headquarters and everybody in the EU gets iPhone Mirroring instantly. It would be silly to require a software update for that. Then you have two different versions of macOS, one for the EU and one elsewhere.

iPhone Mirroring is tricky. Apple doesn't want to create a little EU-specific cottage industry of iPhone spyware apps. That is what would happen if Apple were forced to allow 3rd party developers to have remote control of iPhones.

Sep 24, 2024 9:04 AM in response to _Sascha_

_Sascha_ wrote:

True, but the question what replicatord is and does, still remains open.

False.

replicatord is an Apple service that constitutes part of the macOS operating system. It is part of a private Apple framework. There are 70 similar <whatever>d services in that same folder. But no one cares about them because their 3rd party "security" app didn't flag them.

Anyone who is interested in what replicatord is should uninstall their 3rd party "security" apps. They aren't helping you.

Sep 24, 2024 1:18 PM in response to geniene64

A Mac will never work properly with "Norton" installed. You can either accept that fact, violate your employer's policy and uninstall it, tell your employer to amend that policy, or buy a Windows PC for your job. There are no other choices.

I am just hoping that it's not doing more harm than good.

"Norton" can do nothing good on Macs. Expressed mathematically,

harm : good = ∞

Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

Oct 10, 2024 5:23 AM in response to rotorblades

The “replicatord” is a process called “replicatord.” It is related to the Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) software on macOS that is used to manage multiple macOS devices remotely. The “replicatord” process is involved in data synchronization or replication, typically used in remote management tasks like file transfers, distributing software updates, or executing commands on other systems.

Oct 9, 2024 4:32 PM in response to rotorblades

I'd like to summarize:

• somebody asked what the replicatord process is
  • speculation has been offered, nobody actually knows
  • (some people say iPhone mirroring, however, it's not proven)
  • people spent the majority of their time bashing 3rd party AV software (you may be right, but you're not helpful)

Ok, now that that's established - I too have seen this note - from the built-in firewall. I have a brand-new Mac, no backups were carried over.

I went into the Firewall settings and deleted all the default allowed connections. The list was quite long. I also unchecked "automatically allow built-in software to receive connections", and "automatically allow downloaded and signed software to receive connections".

replicatord was the first process that came knocking. Since then, ControlCenter, and rapportd.

I haven't even opened the iPhone mirroring app, no Norton or any other AV. So you're all wrong.

So, let's relax and keep gathering information for what replicatord does.

Sep 22, 2024 2:40 PM in response to danyochim

danyochim wrote:

Please, has anybody found out what "replicatord" is yet?

It's just one of literally hundreds of Apple tasks to manage various different aspects of the operating system.

I'm not joking about the "hundreds" part. Do you really want 3rd party "security" apps to randomly start popping up dialogs confirming every single aspect of the operating system? Would it really make you feel better to know what each of these processes actually does?

Warning! The computer is trying to access replicatord, which manages iPhone Mirroring. Block or allow?

Warning! The computer is trying to access keychromed, which displays accented characters on a long press. Block or allow?

Warning! The computer is trying to access chronosyncd, which keeps the clock up to date. Block or allow?

...repeat with a different process 900 times...

Do you feel more secure now?

Sep 24, 2024 12:33 PM in response to geniene64

geniene64 wrote:

Unfortunately, my job's policy is for everyone's computer to operate with Norton 360, both Windows and MacOS, otherwise, I wouldn't have the extra 3rd party security. It is super annoying to have to constantly "allow" these things. But I can't get around it. I am just hoping that it's not doing more harm than good.

Windows isn't any different than the Mac in this respect. Microsoft adds new apps and new services all the time. Do you have to constantly "allow" those on Windows? Why not?

What is the function of Replicatord in macOS Sequoia 15?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.