You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Connect 2024 Studio Display to 2014 MacMini.

I have a "legacy" set-up that allows me access to a number of 32 bit apps and archive docs. Mac mini 2014 running 10.14 Mojave.

I also have a nice new 2024 Studio Display attached to a nice new top spec Mac mini.

I would like to use the studio display for both computers. I understand that to go from the "thunderbolt 2" output to "thunderbolt 3/4" input on the display won't work unless running a more up to date OS than Mojave.

I tried an HDMI (Mac end) to thunderbolt 3/4 (display end) cable. It didn't work. I've found various people connecting to the Display from an HDMI source with various adapters, but not using the same kit as me.

Can anyone advise on how to make this happen?

Studio Display

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 6:53 AM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2024 3:46 PM in response to MattHawker1

MattHawker1 wrote:

I tried an HDMI (Mac end) to thunderbolt 3/4 (display end) cable. It didn't work.

There's no way that would work. I suspect that what you tried was a USB-C (DisplayPort) to HDMI adapter cable designed to work in one direction: with the USB-C end plugged into a computer, and the HDMI one plugged into the monitor.

The Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter is bi-directional, but I don't believe that your Late 2014 Mac mini is able to support the Apple Studio Display's 5K resolution.

Connect 2024 Studio Display to 2014 MacMini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.