You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

"Quicktime Player encountered an error whilst recording your screen"

Hiya,

I got a Macbook this summer and I've been using the screen recorder to make videos and all of a sudden today I started getting this message each time I attempt to start a screen recording. I'm new to Macbooks so I truly have no idea what the problem could be. It's been working perfectly ever since I got it. I thought maybe it could have something to do with the disk space so I went to take a look and it seems that all the disk space is full with "other volumes" which I have no idea what that means or is so I'd appreciate if someone could help explain if the disk storage is the problem and if it is what do I have to do. If it's not I'd appreciate a solution to the screen recording situation since that is my main concern at the moment.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 6:10 AM

3 replies

Sep 16, 2024 6:32 AM in response to j-rose7889

it appears as if your local drive is full. with only 669.7 MB free, it is AMAZING that you are even able to do ANYTHING with your Mac. it is recommended to keep ~20% of your local drive as free space for proper operation of the Mac. you DESPERATELY need to free up some space on your Mac, or you will soon have a very expensive doorstop.

since you are running low on space, you can purchase an external HDD or SSD of sufficient capacity and move your larger files (videos, pictures, documents, etc...) to it. once they are on the EHD, you can simply erase the same files from your internal drive. and, if it's just going to be used for storage, you can use an HDD and save a few bucks over the cost of an SSD. FWIW, i personally keep very little on my internal drive.

you may also want to look at Free up storage space on your Mac.

"Quicktime Player encountered an error whilst recording your screen"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.