You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Network setting for TimeCapsule & Windows 11

Airport utility sees my 1st generation TimeCapsule just fine, displaying its MAC ID, LAN IP address and such; the light on the TC is solid green. I use the TC only as a NAS so that my Sonos system can access my iTunes content and .itl files, playlists, etc., and for iTunes on my PC to be able to manipulate iTunes content. With my old Windows 10 PC, this all worked, but I can't get my Windows 11 PC to make the TC visible to iTunes. I think this is a Windows network setting, but I can't remember back 5+ years ago when I did it the last time. Can someone offer up some help please?

Posted on Sep 15, 2024 1:15 PM

1 reply

Sep 15, 2024 3:11 PM in response to Charles Smith

but I can't get my Windows 11 PC to make the TC visible to iTunes.

The TC uses an ancient SMB1 communication protocol, and Microsoft disabled SMB1 on Windows for valid security reasons some years ago.

I'm not recommending that you try to enable SMB1 on your PC, (if that is still even possible) but that is likely going to be the only way that the PC will communicate with the TC hard drive.

How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and ...Microsoft Learnhttps://learn.microsoft.com › file-server › troubleshoot

Network setting for TimeCapsule & Windows 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.