You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Linked Contacts don't stay linked

I have MacOS 14.6.1 set up with both an iCloud and a Google account. I have Contacts set to use both of them. I see both accounts have Contacts in them.

Sometimes I see that both accounts have a card for the same person. I select them both and link them. It all looks fine (there is just one card in Contacts). Sometime later I come back and both cards are back. I haven't edited them — I think it is because of a background sync.

One other thing I'll note is that the Look for Duplicates doesn't find these for some reason. Which is surprising because in some cases they are very similar or seemingly identical.

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 9:30 PM

3 replies

Oct 20, 2024 7:27 PM in response to PRP_53

It used to be that you could link the same contact in multiple accounts and keep them in sync but with each update, Apple appears to break this more and more. In fact Contacts currently is completely garbage if you want to sync and share contacts.

Contacts does not work in "Family Sharing" so my wife and I have our own icloud accounts and a shared apple account that we used for the family long before Family Sharing existed. Prior to Family Sharing, we were able to have our own card in our own icloud account (which you have to have to avoid Apple and Siri confusing us) and also have our same details in the shared account, so that if we have make changes in one it would reflect in the other and the other family members that use the family account would have the same details.

Currently (I'm on iOS 18.0.1 and 15.0.1 on macOS) this is no longer working. Syncing "linked" contacts no longer keeps contacts in sync.

Linked Contacts don't stay linked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.